Pages

06 April, 2010

38 Week Aventure

Ok... 

So I'm 38 weeks now (as of yesterday) and had my appointment today. I think the trip around it was probably a little more eventful than the actual appointment was (although it was nice). 

This was the first time Baba could not make it. We thought about changing our appointment, but that didn't really work out. Was the only downside to his schedule change.  So... We decided that Kalila & I would just ride the bus. 

The trip over went really well... I was a bit rushed when we left. Kalila did not want to get ready (as usual lol) and we pretty much ran out the door. Luckily we made it w/ plenty of time. Kalila did great... She was very excited about the whole thing and talked about it the whole way there. Part way through another baby (7 months) got on & that was even better. Kalila just went nuts over her. We had one transfer, but it wasn't bad at all. We got out and made it to the appointment early for once.

The appointment... Not a whole lot to say. It went well. I was a bit tired from the trip of course, but still... We talked more about everything.. How I'm doing and what I need to get done still (lol, seems like a ton), and stuff more related to the pg & birth like how my iron's come up (yea!) and I can drop one (not all) of the supplements I'm on for it since I'm having a harder time with it. Not saying its horrible or having a reaction, just the side effects aren't fun & the taste gets to me. Kalila during the birth.. we talked more about that. And what was the other big one? Oh my GBS test. Good news is I was wrong about it meaning we'd have to go in right away... they sent home the flush stuff w/ me and directions for it. So when things really start (like my water breaks) I can go ahead and do that myself. Was nice to hear... Speaking of, I need to go put that up.. brb. Ok... Tests were all good. Zavier is still head down and dropped some more (like I thought). Moving all over the place so listening to his heart was fun lol. Once again Kalila insisted on being checked too. One of the new apprentices was in there and she did that, even felt around for her babies position, measured her tummy, and all that. Kalila was thrilled. Wouldn't let her get away w/out doing the doppler too though lol. 

So that all done we set up our next appointment... and by that point I was starving. Figured I had time to grab us dinner before the bus ride... but then I saw the schedule I printed and silly me put the return time too early? Not sure why, I remember searching for an hour later... So I txt'd Baba for another schedule.. and found out the bus was coming, left w/ no food & didn't make it in time. Ticked, but he gave me two options and one was still good.. so waited. This time I get on the bus and the driver was an ass (sorry no good way to put it). The other bus had no issues w/ people leaving the strollers out and gave us time to deal with getting the kids out. This one jumped all over me to do so (note: Kalila was sound asleep too) and then made an announcement while glaring at me (after seeing me holding a sleeping baby) about needing to fold them up. Thankfully there was a nice lady on there that helped out. At this point I'm carrying a folded stroller the whole time, carrying Kalila, plus our bag... Worn out, hungry & have to go to the restroom. Long past the point of ready to breakdown. I get out to transfer and couldn't find the stop, cross to the other side and don't see it. Cross back to check in the office since it was a spot that had one and go figure it was back across the street hidden away. :-/  . Sat down & saw on the thing I'd grabbed that I had another 30 min for it to come. Luckily it came sooner... I get on that bus and it takes off right past a stop next to the one I got on the other bus on. Yeah the trip planner gave us a really stupid route. Not happy. 


As bad as that was, Kalila must have noticed how upset I was because she kept giving me this sweet smile and telling me I'm a good mama. Gotta love it.  


I'm so glad to be home now though... Tired. Sore. But very glad to be home. And now I have a headache (Kalila brushing hair and hit me on the head). 


And I'm afraid of even seeing the pics from this week. Kalila helped me take them lol.


13 comments:

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

Do you have to take IV antibiotics since you tested positive for GBS? I refused the test so I wouldn't have to worry about it, so I'm interested as to what they're having you do exactly.
It won't be long now! I really hope you get to have your waterbirth. Mine was a really cool experience.

MK said...

Nope... I turned down antibiotics. We have the option of doing 1 of 3 things here if we test positive... 1. Transfer to a hospital birth for antibiotics 2. Chlorhedexine (sp?) flush or 3. Nothing. I'm not comfortable doing nothing at all, but definately did not want antibiotics (and not just because of the transferring part), so we're going with the flush.

So you had an out of hospital birth too or a water birth in one? Just curious since you skipped the test. I had the option of skipping it (and seriously thought about it too), but if I'd tried to do that with a hospital birth they'd have forced (or tried to force) the antibiotics on me just in case.

Keith said...

Pregnant, tired, public transportation...oh and toss in a two year old for good measure. You're a stronger person than I! If I were you, and this scenario comes up again, I'm getting the phone book out and calling every friend within 30 minutes to come with. You shouldn't have to deal with all that on your own.

Glad to know everything is going well!

MK said...

LOL thanks. It really wouldn't have been that bad if I'd been more prepared on the way back and things hadn't snowballed the way they did.

Jeanette said...

WHAT? my midwife gave me a long list of things that you could do. Most importantly building your immune system. It's a bacteria that grows and goes away so you never REALLY know if you have it at the time of birth anyway. I'm taking echincace/golden seal 5 days on 5 days off, other options are colloidal silver 3 times a day, 1 raw garlic clove vaginally overnight 3 days on 3 off... LOTS of stuff! Plus its a sickness that IF they do get sick can be treated easily. So DON"T worry!

MK said...

Oops backing up here.. I was talking about during the birth lol. Yes, I got that list too. I've been taking probiotics and vit c. Have done the garlic thing a couple times too but the last time it hurt lol. There were others on the list too, but I don't remember... those are the ones that stuck in my head enough to do.

I'm really not worried though either. Just precautions. Chances of anything happening are so small.

Lelo and Stitch said...

sorry you had a bad bus driver on the way back... its always more enjoyable to ride the bus with the good drivers.

MK said...

Yeah no kidding. The others were nice though.

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

Yes, I was allowed to decline the test with no problems. The midwife said that if I tested pos then I couldn't decline the antibiotics. It would have been an IV of antibiotics every 4 hrs. during labor. It would have been bad since my labor was 32 hrs!

They never mentioned any flush as a treatment option, or I may have considered the test.

I had a birth in a birthing center midwife unit that is attached to a hospital. It was great b/c the midwives were very hands-off when it came to pushing, so I got to just deliver Layla in the water myself.

MK said...

Nice.. Mine is not attached to a hospital, so there's the difference in policies there. Our midwife does homebirth's too, but I wanted to use the BC and hubby's not comfortable with homebirth (I am now, but still love the BC we're at lol).

kim said...

i rode a bus while pg and having little kids...ONCE! and never again...LOL. Its difficult. glad everything is ok.

MK said...

LOL I honestly don't know if I'll brave it again either. Like I said, the first trip wasn't bad...

Mistika said...

Wow is almost here I can not wait to see pics.