Pages

05 February, 2010

Decisions - Car Seat Edition

Thankfully (or not  so thankfully depending on how ya look at it lol) we don't have to worry about this anytime soon. 

With Kalila my parents offered to get her a travel system.. Very nice, we were grateful (still are). Unfortunately new parents = knew nothing and did a lousy job picking one out... We got this: 

 
Ok, ignore the unsafe addition to the straps... I told you we knew nothing lol. And I laugh because I'm saying that kind of tongue in cheek... I'm sure I'll catch other things we should have done differently later on too (whether its with Kalila, Zavier or whoever).. is normal.  I think those things are still on there though, will get chunked when I pull it out of storage.

It is cute... I'll give it that... but like I said, not the best seat.  And I've learned (the hard way lol) that I hate travel systems. But... We had no accidents, it does work, and hasn't expired yet... So its coming out for Zavier (and will be sent off to be recycled after he outgrows it since it'll be pretty close to expiring at that point). 


In a perfect world we'd be going straight to a convertable seat this time. I know we're gonna have to get one sooner or later anyway so I did spend my time researching which I want to get:

Nice right? Very good carseat (will RF much longer than the seat Kalila's in now and will harness longer too) and for a decent price... My guess is, if he's anything like his big sister, we'll need to get it when he's about 6 months old or so. That's the plan... But a very annoying plan because silly Target has decided to put it on sale now instead of then. $30 off would be nice lol... but no. (Pic is from Target btw, not mine) 

6 comments:

kim said...

For my 2nd child I went to the convertible first like you are saying but I found it very impractical for me... I couldn't go shopping with a toddler and an infant since I had no infant seat to put in the shopping cart and i needed my hands free to control the toddler. Although it saves money in the long run to do the convertible first it just made a lot of things like going out harder for me.

Mama Kalila said...

That's what the wrap is for ;-)

I wanted to wear Kalila but between the travel system and getting a hotsling that didn't fit it never happened. We're getting a Maya wrap this time & I'm really excited about it.

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

We just started with a convertible seat for Layla. It worked well with wearing her in the wrap most of the time. She looked so tiny in that seat the first few times though :-)
I was glad not to lug that heavy seat around all the time.

Mama Kalila said...

Awww...

Deborah said...

We're lucky that some friends of ours have a baby who's just the right amount older than ours will be ... they'll be outgrowing their infant car seat just before we need one. We're going to buy it from them for a very reasonable price so we'll have a car seat that will fit a newborn very well. We probably won't use it as a carrier, though--we intend to wear the baby, and we aren't even buying the stroller that the carrier can be used with. (Strollers are of limited usefulness with obstruction-lined sidewalks and crazy unsafe roads, so we'll stick with wearing baby until baby's too heavy for that.) I do think it'll be useful to have the carrier if baby's sleeping etc when we get home, rather than waking baby up getting him or her out of the seat, but mostly we're just buying a very highly rated car seat. Then we'll pick and buy the convertible seat once baby's a bit better sized for it.

Mama Kalila said...

Deborah - That's great. Used seats make me nervous but I know there are conditions where it's ok. Hopefully that will work out for yall. Being able to leave the baby in the seat is an upside of those, but they're coming out with info about it not being good for the baby so mixed feelings about that now too. I know Kalila was ok when we did it, but...