I'm really pushing it for my first load with this new detergent... I'm not just doing any old clothes, I'm doing diapers!
Before I go any further have to tell you why.. Horrible story..
I just did diapers the other day, still have plenty of pockets left - so not a huge need for that... Tia Sallie did mention that she noticed the prefolds (or possibly the fitted) needed stripping though so I already had in mind to do that asap. Note: She didn't really put it like that, but there was an ammonia smell after Kalila wet that is not supposed to happen... sure sign it needs stripping, so as soon as she mentioned it I knew what had to be done lol.
But yesterday was Baba's day off & we had a few things to do as always... and went to go do them. Well... We got to Sams and headed straight for the family restroom knowing Kalila needed a change. What we didn't know was that she'd had diarrhea.... I'm not all that surprised because she was just getting over being sick and stomach still adjusting when she ate part of a bar of soap. (yes my daughter eats soap... its not the first time... I try to stop her, its awful... any ideas of how to stop it would be appreciated...) I just didn't expect it to go through that soon. My mistake. I did put her in the fitted and orange cover though, so not expecting any leaks if anything happened. But it did... and badly. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if it was one of the ones that got washed last weekend... (diff detergent? Possibly softener?) Oh well, doesn't matter lol. It leaked... all through her pants... and for once we didn't have a backup pair... Kalila got a new outfit out of the whole ordeal, but I felt horrible about having to take her bare legs into the store (at least it was warm inside and we were able to get her dressed before heading out).
Anyways, as you can imagine... I didn't want those sitting around in the wetbag for even a day.
So I'm really testing this stuff... but... I have to point out that I am stripping them too, which I use Dawn and Oxiclean for... and I added TTO at one point. So keep that in mind.
Despite what the recipe I originally linked called for, I went with the 1 tbsp the other one mentioned... partly because if using less works why use more and partly because they're diapers & those of you who use cloth know you don't want to overdo the soap on those.
I was warned beforehand that either way wouldn't have all the suds that store bought has, so I wasn't worried about that. Opened it up mid cycle and could def see the soap residue in the water... So that looked good to me lol.
At the end of cycle 1 - the diapers looked clean from what I could see. A couple were still stained, but I'm pretty sure they were ones that had been stained from before... Is a recent thing (I think from the tummy problems) and I'm planning to separate them out & figure out how to fix that or at least get them looking a little better, but that's a whole diff post.
Beyond that is stripping process and extra rinses so nothing to write about until I see how they come out of the drier.
Ok.... this post isn't posting until later this morning because I cannot stay up any longer lol. Very loopy at this point. Really wish I could have started earlier in the day. Oh well...
As of now... I think I was 100% on with my thinking the stained ones were from before and not because of the detergent. Why? Because I have already used both Dawn & OxiClean and see no difference from immediately after washing them in the detergent. So they were clean... and now hopefully well on their way to being stripped.
I'm running another load of hot water right now before I lay down and gonna let them soak until morning (which will come all too early I'm sure) and finish up the rinse cycles. Normally doesn't take that many but I want to be extra sure everything is out. Not taking any chances here...
I'll finish this in the morning... Later in the morning... today... whatever.
Sorry about that lol... I'm back and diapers are DONE. Whoo hoo!
I have to say this try was a success... I'm still holding out a little until I've both finished some regular laundry with it, and have done a diaper load that doesn't need to be stripped (I still need to strip the other half of our diapers... doing that later today... so figure in 2 days or so for the next reg load). But... the diapers are clean. They also feel very soft (the prefolds at least) and have lost the stiffness they've had lately. I really can't say if it was the diff detergent or the stripping because I can't remember them not feeling like this after I stripped them last... but they do feel nice. Everything smells great... So no complaints at this point.
I've already started a regular load... and will post about it at some point soon. I feel kinda bad because I go days w/ out a new post & all the sudden I'm piling them on lol.
37 minutes ago