Pages

31 December, 2009

Rh Factor

I still have about 2 weeks until my next prenatal visit... I was confused at first at why it seemed to be dragging this month, but I realized that I had to go in half way between my 2 visits for something random last time and that made it go by faster I'm sure. Its ok, I'm not anxious about the next one or anything... I'm sure if I thought about it too much I'd be glad I still have so long because I know I'm gonna have blood drawn at this next visit! 

Btw this is another CafeMom inspired post... I keep seeing women ask questions about Rh factor and see so many misconceptions its not even funny. Well, sometimes it is... But still. I saw another tonight and between shaking my head at replies and thinking about my next visit I thought I would do this.

Ok, so I knew my Rhogam shot would be coming up soon. I'm 24 weeks pg now. Rhogam is given around 28 weeks. Not fun, but gotta do it. That's fine. What I didn't know was that I would be tested for antibodies again in my pregnancy. Remember I had to have that done early on? It makes sense to check that I haven't made any in the last few months (not something that's likely since I haven't had any bleeding)... but I just didn't think about it. Gotta love having things be kept on top of. 

I'd ask if you remember last time, but I know most of you don't... I didn't have my blog then lol. But the Dr we had was not on top of this at all... is why I was so worried at the beginning of this pg. I found out I was Rh neg in the hospital and they gave me my first shot... Then when I mentioned it to him he waved it off. I wasn't tested again in my pg... and then when I got close to 28 weeks I had to fight to have that dose of it given. I seriously had to get in their faces about it at the clinic there. Not something I'm good at btw, but the thought of what could happen scared me enough that I did lol.  Then I had to push for it at the hospital after she was born. It was crazy. 

But yeah... I get tested at my next visit and from there should get my Rhogam shot. No worries about that. 

Now... for those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about... I'm not going to try and explain it in detail here when there's a ton of good sites I can link instead. 

Basic info -

Kids Health 
Wikipedia
American Pregnancy  


How Rh typing works/is passed down/whatever (main issue I see online)

Blood types tutorial from the University of Arizona
Rh Blood types

4 comments:

babyyahyah said...

i know what you are talking about. I have known people who have dealt with this. good luck.

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

I heard of a Messianic family who refused the Rhogam shot and lost one of their twins :-( It definitely has a purpose.

Anonymous said...

Where the world slides?

Mama Kalila said...

Babyyahyah - Yeah as "rare" as neg blood is, its still a pretty common issue. However so many people have misconceptions about it that I had to post the links. I think if I see someone say two neg people can have a pos child one more time I'm gonna pull out my hair lol.

Stacey aka Fahiima - That is so sad! I've heard there are alternative treatments but this is one area I don't want to mess with. I know if it happens anyway (you can make the antibodies despite the shot) then its not a huge thing... we can keep an eye on the pg and everything.. stuff can be done if necessary. But I don't want to have to do that either.

Anon - Sigh.. gotta love spam.