Pages

23 December, 2009

Decisions - Bottle Edition

Well this wasn't a post I expected to do lol. 

Long story short, we used the Vent Air Bottles w/ Kalila when we needed them. They did have some advantages, like being very easy to clean and good on gassy tummies (which she did have). They also had some very big downsides. Because of the way they fit together we had a few accidents where the bottoms came off, spilling milk everywhere (and anyone who's had to pump knows how awful a feeling it is to see all your work wasted). More parts to get lost. And the biggest issue at the time, they hadn't made those BPA free yet... We thought they were (because the drop ins were, we assumed these would be too since they're the same brand). As soon as we found that out they were in the trash.  

By the time that happened Kalila was around 7 months old and had been given a sippy, so we just started sending her milk in those when she was away from us. She didn't quite have the hang of it yet, but wasn't that hard to do. At the time we planned to just use sippies for those occasions w/ our next too.... Which is why I didn't think I'd be doing this one.


But Baba & I talked about it the other day & decided it might be best to have a few bottles for sitters. Honestly I'd just rather have them where we can pick them out than have someone decide they'll buy their own (or use ones they already have). 


So we're looking into bottles.


We could get more Vent Air ones since they are BPA free now... but I'm not really sure I want to go that route again for reasons mentioned above. 


There's also the glass bottles. And stainless steel bottles. And a whole slew of BPA free plastic ones... 


One of those in the last group caught my attention earlier too... The First Years Breastflow Bottle. It sounds nice and has some pretty good reviews. But has anyone tried these? Any input here? 


Or any others that you've liked/disliked/etc?

5 comments:

Danielle Abdelhamid said...

hey its Danielle! i use drop-ins for Ayah but i really wanted to have the vent-airs.. i used them for cora and i loveddddd themmmm!!!! i also used drop-ins with cora before i found the vent-airs... lol i used soothie bottles and I HATE THEM bc the nipples are hard as hell which was also my problem with Avent bottles. drop-ins are convenient, easy and they last forever. you basically only have to wash the nipple and the ring part...so for people like me with no dishwasher i found them more convenient then vent-airs bc as you said, many many parts lol... but if i had a dishwasher i would definitely pick vent-airs... good luck!!! xoxo and they are BPA FREE now. every bottle is. and as far as the glass bottle, i wouldnt use them bc you know how many times i dropped the plastic bottles on my daughter while im feeding her bc she is being fussy.. i cant imagine dropping the glass bottle on her.. that would be dangerous. im a clutz lol..

Mama Kalila said...

Yeah, I'm a clutz too so that's a big point against glass bottles. I'd say we do have a dishwasher, but I'm not 100% sure we will when we move lol... I think we will though & that's a point in favour for glass. Plastics of any kind don't get washed in the dishwasher here. The Vent Airs are very easy to wash by hand though...

I've seen a lot of people like the drop ins but I don't really want to be throwing stuff away or having to buy new drop ins. I know we wouldn't need to often, but still...

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

I bought one of the breast flow bottles for Layla. We only tried using it a couple times and she refused to take it. She generally hated bottles the few times she had them. She did better once she was older and I could just leave some milk for her in a cup. The others I had were just the generic bottles that came with my pump with regular Evenflo nipples. Those were ok in a pinch.

Mama Kalila said...

Yeah, that's another thing I have to keep in mind. I have no idea how he'll do w/ a bottle lol. Kalila did pretty good when she got them, as long as it wasn't me. (Long story short I was silly and embarrassed to nurse at Church for the first few months so she got one a week for awhile)

We still have the ones that came w/ our pump too, but they're awful. I wont even consider those lol. Storage only.

Steph said...

I used the vent airs and loved them. I never really had a problem with the bottoms like you mentioned. My only problem was occasionally losing a bottom insert thing. I had to use them w/ Kairi.

Alex never accepted a bottle. Ever. It didn't matter what bottle we tried. But around 6 months or whenever it was that he started scooting, he started stealing his sisters sippies and stuck with it from there on out.