Pages

01 August, 2009

World Breastfeeding Week

Don't worry, I'm not going to sit here and write a post listing the advantages and reasons to breastfeed. There are enough posts, articles, whatever on that topic already. If you don't know and are interested to learn, feel free to pop over here or here or here or find your own lol. Shouldn't be hard to do.

Anyways, what I am going to do is share a few of the places that have been a huge help to me... because lets face it, breastfeeding is not always easy.

1. Family & Friends. I'm talking about the ones who've been there and done it before of course (if they didn't or are against it then obviously not). I'm not sure what I would have done w/out those shoulders to lean on and all the advice I got from them. Could I have managed? Yes... but so much easier w/ their help.

2. CafeMom. Keep in mind, any other networking site that has a breastfeeding group could replace that. For me it was CafeMom though. Same advantages as number 1 apply... I got some great advice from these moms, was/am able to vent when I need too (which sometimes is easier to do online lol), and get fresh perspectives.

3. Kelly Mom. I almost want to list this one more than once lol. This site can become your best friend... esp if you happen to get sick at some point while nursing. As much as we'd like to think dr's know everything or that we can always trust them... Unfortunately, unless you just have an awesome dr, its not always true. Most dr's don't know a lot about breastfeeding and will give you some horrid advice. So before you fill a prescription, whether the dr says its ok to nurse while on it or (and esp in this case) they tell you to stop while on it, check out this site. Beyond that it has a ton of good info for things like upping supply if you have a shortage (or think you might) or drying up once the baby weans, solids, post-partum depression, and a ton of other baby related issues. Good site overall.

4. La Leche League. I'm linking over to their questions page, but you can get everything from that, to talking to other moms, to finding a lactation consultant, etc. Another thing i want to point out, is that they have a section featuring the laws regarding breastfeeding.

5. Lactation Consultant. Mentioned somewhat above... If things seem rough and you need extra help there is nothing wrong w/ calling one in. Its a good thing. Loads of help.

I know there are a ton more I could list out... but I'm gonna keep this short. Mostly becuase my little one is begging for "frogs on" now that she's awake. That youtube video is becoming a real pain... Its been acting up and freezing and she wants nothing else! Just grabbed the mouse and tried to do it herself lol. Sigh...

Btw, feel free to add to the list. :-D

2 comments:

Yasemin said...

You go girl! I breastfed for 2 and a half years and loved it. Thank you for also including La Leche. They helped me because I kept getting mastitis due to an over-supply of milk (I had enough for quads :) Hope everyone sees this and considers the benefits.

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks! I love it too... can't imagine stopping even though I know it will sooner rather than later. I had the same problem... just gets me that I didn't donate (as another post is floating through my head) because I really could have. I don't remember which place really helped me while I had mastitis, just how miserable it was lol. Thankfully I only had it once, even though the oversupply thing was (still is at times) constant. Poor Kalila would choke over it and had to be fed face down while I was on my back lol.