Pages

10 July, 2009

Steam Cleaning...

I don't have much time right now, so this one's gonna be nice and short... but warning I do have a long post coming up soon lol.

So two Christmas' ago my parents gave us gift cards to JC Penny's. We had no idea what to do with them... I think we got me some jeans or something w/ one (Kalila was 3 months old, I was getting to the point where everything in my closet was either way too big or way too small... Unfortunately I got stuck in that position lol). Anyways, we didn't want to spend it all on clothes but on something for the house... something for our family. But we couldn't find anything or think of anything at the time. Card went in diaperbag and we figured we'd be back at some point.

Well, the other day I caught Kalila pulling it out for the millionth time and warned Baba that we prob should use it soon before she loses it for good. We decided to go on his day off... which ended up being perfect timing. They had a sale going! Always nice right?

We looked at a couple different things. Besides there being a sale, the good thing about waiting so long to use it is that we have a more definate idea about what we'd like, what we really need and what we don't. We'd almost settled on a waffel iron - which I'll admit falls more on the what we'd like side than on the need side lol... (is why it got dropped, would be nice to be able to make them but no complaints). But then we saw a steam mop...

Backing up you might remember me saying something awhile back about carpet cleaning. It's just awful. I vacuum at least once a day, usually twice (sometimes more) and there's stains... I scrub and scrub and some come up... some don't. I got to the point that I saw that Little Green Bissel and was so tempted.... But it came down to choosing between it and Kalila's bed... Throw in that despite it being eco friendly, it does use chemicals... and we're trying to get away from that. In the end obviously not worth it.

And then we saw the steam mop at Penny's. On sale. Works on floors and carpets. Also eco friendly... and best yet - No chemicals! So that's what we chose as our Christmas gift two years late... or something like that lol.

Baba had the day off yesterday, and I'll get more into this later... but I spent a good part of the day cleaning our carpets. Oh good grief. You'd think w/ all that vacuuming I'd at least have been doing something... Oh no... I actually got pics of the cleaning pads... that I had to wash 3 times yesterday so I could start back up (it only comes with 2). Awful I tell you. I still need to get the bedrooms and floors... and the front prob should be gone over again soon... As much extra work as that gives me I'm actually happy about it. For one I'll have the place more than just looking clean...

Anyways, gotta run...

4 comments:

Christy said...

It is so hard keeping carpets clean when you have young children. My kids spill little drops of juice and milk EVERYWHERE. I just had my carpets professionally cleaned in May, and they already look like crap again.

Mama Kalila said...

I can imagine! Thankfully Kalila rarely has juice... Yesterday was the first day she's had any in months... and she spilled some too lol. Normally its just milk and water though... Water dries easy and milk... Well... if we're spilling milk everywhere then I have a problem lol. No but we also have the issue of dropping food.... Kalila will try and carry it around or hide it places. I'm trying to instil (sorry know that's mispelled) the eat at the table rule, but... it happens still. I ended up cleaning avocado off the floor yesterday. :-( And pictures... I'm so not kidding when I say I have some from today, before pics w/ a nice clean floor... and after with junk (toys, books, food, etc) spilled everywhere...

Steph said...

My carpets are GROSS. That's why I'm thinking I'm going to end up with the Bissell instead of just a the Bionaire. And I do mean seriously disgusting floors. Actually, if nothing else, I'm going to rent something to clean them next week and then buy something after I've done more research. Since the kids play outside so much of the time, they bring tons of dirt inside, so no matter what they spill, the dirt is automatically drawn to it and I just can't spend all day cleaning dirt spots off my carpet. I wish there was laminate wood flooring in this house. It'd be so much easier to clean and nicer looking.

Anonymous said...

Understood. I almost wish we had that problem... Poor Kalila hasn't gotten to go outside much lately. Combination of way too hot and no yard. Our floors were pretty bad too because they were awful when we moved in. Nothing I did got the stains out until now.... After paying attention (lol) it really didn't take that long to do so either... Got the hallway yesterday in no time. But with a house and that big a job I don't blame ya for wanting something heavy duty. When we have a bigger place I'd like to upgrade (thinking along the line of Las' new one w/ all the attachments it has lol) but this is perfect for here. If you get the Bissel let me know how it does!