Pages

02 June, 2009

Salmon Croquettes

I know I haven't posted many recipes... Isn't that I haven't wanted too, just time mostly... Plus I need to sit down and decide which I want to share... So I guess it was a good thing that someone asked for my Salmon Croquette recipe.

First let me say that this is a passed down recipe. I got it from Babu who got it from Memaw (my great grandmother). I know he made adjustments... and so have I. I've only made it a few times though, so I probably will end up making a few more along the way lol.

1 can salmon (pink brand is recommended but either way just make sure its Alaskan... Buying in bulk is not worth it if its not as safe)
3 large handfuls corn flakes (original recipe calls for Kelloggs, I use Barbara's Bakery Organic)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 egg
about 1/8 cup corn meal (last time I subbed 1/3 cup white flour since we had none)
Optional - 1 or 2 tablespoons minced onion (I usually do this one)
Optional - 1 or 2 tablespoons minced celery

Drain salmon, reserving liquid. If desired remove bones (I always do... blech). Add remaining ingredients to flaked salmon. Mix well. Return liquid to salmon and mix well. Form croquettes (oblong ball) in palm of hand.

Original recipe calls for frying them in shortening or cooking oil until golden brown... If doing this, you'll need to heat oil before forming croquettes.

However.. I don't fry them. I tried one and things went very badly lol.

Babu's baking method calls for forming round 1/2 inch thick patties and baking in 400 degree oven on ungreased baking sheet until browned... which is almost what I do. I go ahead and form them the same way I would to fry and bake them like that with the same temps and stuff.

2 comments:

Steph said...

That looks so yummy! I'll definitely have to add it to the menu list for next time!

Mama Kalila said...

:-)

A few more adjustments.. I just chopped up half an onion instead of the 2 tbsp minced... and I added in some garlic salt (since we're out of powder). Turned out great!