Pages

13 May, 2009

Toddler Beds

Yes, that time is coming... Sooner than I am probably ready for lol. Long story short... Kalila has been doing 3 things lately.

1. Laying down random places and saying "Night Night"
2. Pointing to either one of us sleeping, the cats sleeping, or her dolls on floor and saying "night night".
3. Waking up multiple times at night, will fall asleep on our bed, but as soon as we put her back in the crib the screaming starts again...

Yesterday it hit us... We were in here, she walked in the bedroom (ours), climbed up on the bed, laid down, and said loudly "night night". I told Baba that maybe its time to consider what toddler bed to get... and he brought up #3 up there and said that he thinks that might be the reason. Is it? I don't know for sure... but it could be.

So we're looking at toddler beds.

Before I continue... Let me share what she has now... Using stock photos because I don't have a good pic of her room right now, and don't have the second set just yet. Both are WalMart btw...

Nursery Theme


New bedding

Cute right?

Ok, back to toddler beds.

These first two are not options.

I fell in love w/ this one... Is from Wal-Mart btw... Is absolutely adorable! I would have loved to have that one... but it wouldn't match her bedding she has now, or the bedding her Aunt Leslie gave her for Christmas (but we don't have yet lol). Plus... its overly girlie... Fine for Kalila... but eventually this toddler bed will be passed on.


Then there's this one (from Toys R Us). Kalila would love it. It would go w/ that second set of bedding... but not the first. And what happens if she decides she doesn't like Elmo anymore... or if the next doesn't or whatever. Like the first bed, it sticks us w/ one particular theme. Cute? Yes.. Practical? No...

So what are we leaning towards?

Well, there are 3 beds from Wal-Mart... they all have great reviews. All are for a good price. Just not sure yet... The first two here are my favourites btw...

This one just looks cute to me. Downside is it does look a little girlie too. I know part of that is because of the ugly pink sheets lol. But still, the design on the head and foot boards is a bit too. Still... cute!

The sleigh part on this could be girlie... but somehow it doesn't hit me that way. I like how it looks too... but I saw a bad review on a similar bed.

I include this one because it's the same price and good reviews too... but its just not calling to me lol. For one thing it seems kinda boyish. Maybe its the bedding.. I don't know.

Anyways, that's where we're at right now. We'll see... Opinions? (as I need to send this to Baba... he's seen one of these, but not the others lol.. and I definately want his opinions on here too)

13 comments:

Lelo and Stitch said...

You could totally decorate that last one to make it look girlie for Kalila but not a perminant change for if/when you have a boy :-D

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks! I didn't realize until later... but that one has a huge advantage in the curve of the headboard is similar to the crib... so they would look good together. I think. So even more undecided now lol

Lelo and Stitch said...

2 things... my vote would be for the bottom one but I can't figure out which one that it is. secondly... you will make the best choice you always do :-D

Mama Kalila said...

LOL it was the third option... I went in order of the pics, but since I hadn't labled them in the post it was kinda rough.

Christy said...

All I have to say is that I had a canopy bed when I was growing up and I loved it. LOVED IT.

I know it is not practical, but she'll LOVE it.

Lelo and Stitch said...

I have to say I do like the tinker bell bed, but I am a practical person and as cute as that is when you are expecting to have more kids and wanting to be using the same bed that one is totally not practical.

Steph said...

My favorite is the sleigh bed. I have several friends that have it in cherry and they love it. I really think that it's pretty uni-sex and work well for all kids. That being said, if you don't like it then I'd go w/ the bottom one. Again, fairly uni-sex and if it'd go w/ the crib, I'd do that.


More than all that, though. I've heard of a LOT of people just going straight to twin beds. And it's something that I wish I'd done with Kairi. In fact, I'm looking at getting her one soon anyway. She sleeps sooo well in a twin which makes a toddler bed seem almost like a waste of money to me when I know that she'd sleep just as well either way. (Thankfully, I only spent $30 on her bed and mattress because I got them both at consignment stores.) If you want to go w/ a twin they sell rails that you can attach to it to keep them from falling out.

Mama Kalila said...

Christy - Understood... I would have loved it as a kid too. But... We're planning on a large family. It makes much more sense to get something that will be reused for sure. And someone pointed out on facebook, the plastic beds don't last as long either.

Abby - Yeah, exactly. It'd be nice... but not happening.

Steph - I thought about the twin bed option. But... two problems with that one. One, I haven't found one for a decent price. They are stinking expensive new... Now used.. We haven't looked yet. We may do that before making a choice because if we found a deal like you did... That would be great! Second problem, and this is the one that might outweigh even finding a deal, they are a little larger than the toddler bed... which I'd be ok with except that her room is really small. We're trying to fit a crib, bed, rocking chair, dressers (already moved into the closet so that helps lol) and changing table. I'm trying to see if the ct will go in the closet too lol... On top of that, her Elmo's Restruant thing is in there... Just adding a toddler bed is going to make things interesting. I've been able to measure for that and its doable... I'm not sure about a twin. Maybe. We'll see!

I've heard a couple people say they have experience w/ the sleigh one... So that is a real plus on that.

Lelo and Stitch said...

I actually wondered about Stephs Idea... the twin bed... most people I know have actually gone from crib to twin bed. I was wondering what the reasoning behind a toddler bed is....figured you have some research or guidance to back it up :-D just curious!

Mama Kalila said...

Basically its toddler sized lol. Lower to the ground and has rails attached or that go along with it. I had a full sized toddler bed (like used a full matress) that teh rails detatched and I used growing up too lol. Just was very low...

Twins are a little higher off the ground, but yes you can get rails for them and do just fine. Like I mentioned above though, I'm just not sure I have the room.

Beyond that, what I forgot to mention... We figure by the time Kalila does need a bigger bed, someone else will be needing this one and we can just move down the line. We're hoping (lol you know how this can go) to space our kids out so we don't need two cribs at a given point unless something crazy like twins happen (or if God says no you're having another one early). So the toddler bed would be a good stepping stool between needing to buy real beds for each. Is what we're figuring anyway.

babyyahyah said...

we had the sleigh bed in the same color for one of my boys,,it was a handmedown from a friend that had a girl complete with purple bedding..LOL yes for my boy...but when you have 5 kids purple becomes a boy color...lol.

anyway the point is my 2 sons were jumping on it and the rails underneath it broke in half. it isn't sturdy enough for 2 boys jumping on it if that makes a difference to u.

we had a metal framed toddler bed from the first child that has lasted 11 years if that makes a difference to you? metal ones last longer imo.... we still have it. my 3 year old will be using it still in our new house.

and lastly...i have seen that little tinkerbell one and i love that one. i was planning on buying that one for sofia when we do move to our house. not becuase of tinkerbell but because of the styling

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks... Well #2 is out due to no longer being in stock, but that's teh exact same issue one or two people mentioned on the reviews... I liked the look, but was worried about that. Moot point it seems.

Metal frames are out... they may last longer, but they are harder to fix. My husband wants wood so he can replace parts if need be. Makes sense to me so not arguing.

LOL to the purple for boy part... Kalila likes blue's and green's. It happens.

Btw, we've decided on the last one. Funny since it was my least fav at first!

Henry said...

Ooh! Those are awesome! Spacify offers Toddler Beds and more at reasonable prices.