Pages

16 May, 2009

Not Quite No Poo

Don't worry... This post has nothing to do w/ potty training lol.

At some point on CafeMom I started seeing mom's talk about the whole "No Poo" thing... I was rather confused at first... but basically its going without shampoo. Apparently there are other ways to wash your hair that are supposed to be better for you, your hair and the environment.

I'll be perfectly honest and say this is not for me...

My hair is nasty if washed w/ water alone (if it gets wet at all I have to wash it)... and while I understand that this could be due to all the damage done to it... but on the other hand Kalila's hair doesn't do much better and hers hasn't been around long enough to build up to that. So yeah no.

Baking soda is an interesting enough concept that I did try it... It does work, although it feels weird while you're doing it. Its still out for me because I typically shower (instead of bath) and while I know we should be cutting out water waste... If I turn off the water I freeze. Makes it hard to use... Besides... I use a ton of baking soda around here anyway lol.

So no "no poo" for me lol. I'm not heartbroken over it or anything... I rather like washing my hair!

So why am I writing this?

I'd briefly considered making our shampoo before, but not seriously until I started noticing that we're having some shampoo issues... More Baba than me, but still. None of the ones he usually uses is doing the trick anymore... and mine is starting to actup too.

Knowing TTO would help I did look into store bought ones... but prices on those are rediculous... So it really is a better idea for me to just make it. At least for us...

Got online and found this site here: All Natural Homemade Shampoo Recipes

I am very much looking forward to trying out one of these...
All of the recipes look very easy. I like the idea of knowing exactly what's in there... Not wasting bottles and bottles and bottles lol... Maybe saving a little money... Besides - if it works/helps then its worth it anyway.

The only reason I haven't yet... well a few. We wanted to wait until we were closer to running out. We also need to buy liquid castille soap... which brings the main issue... I'm having trouble finding any that doesn't have stuff already in it. Resorting to looking online...

So hopefully I'll get to do this soon.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Interesting. I actually have no desire to make my own shampoo. I like using the fancy stuff they sell at the store.

Mama Kalila said...

I had mixed feelings about it... Sounds fun to make... I like doing stuff like that and is easier than making reg soap lol.

Not completely sure which is cheaper though... I buy suave normally to keep costs down, but Baba needs special stuff (and apparently I'm starting to as well). Kalila we're still on baby shower shampoo lol. But... after switching from J&J BS to Burts Bees (which I never considered buying) I can see a huge diff the more natural stuff makes with hers...

Anyways, I wouldn't have decided to do it for sure if it wasn't for the cost of TTO shampoos... The medicated ones aren't working and frankly scare me to have n the bathroom w/ the baby. We keep em up, but if he's washing his hair and she's anywhere near I worry. Any added benifits of something sans chemicals is just a bonus lol.

Btw, I used to like buying the fancy stuff at the store too... used to always use fructise and another like that. Seems like so long ago lol.

Steph said...

Let me know how it goes. I don't see us changing our shampoos ever, I like my expensive stuff too much, but my mom has talked several times about switching over because her hair is really brittle, no matter how much conditioner she uses.

Mama Kalila said...

Will do. I have a sample bar of a shampoo soap bar that I'm prob gonna review at some point soon too. Haven't used it yet though.

Shannon Buck said...

Thanks for the link. I am lucky, in that - as long as I rinse my hair in the shower each day - I do not have to use shampoo every single day. I can go a couple of days in between each actual washing, which saves money.

Mama Kalila said...

No problem! I can go a day in between... as long as I don't wet my hair. If water hits it... I have to wash it or it goes nasty.