Pages

19 April, 2009

Vinegar

I was just thinking the other day how quickly we go through the stuff. I'm not even kidding, I'm lucky if I only use a gallon a week.

What's funny is the diapers got me started really using it. Can't use softeners, but add white distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle.. disinfects and softens. Doesn't kill the dryer like softeners do either... So of course I started using it w/ our other clothes too. Now I only do it w/ our other clothes and stuff... as we're not doing only prefolds anymore. Long story short, vinegar and BG pockets don't mix. But still... minus diapers... We have about 2 loads of laundry a day if I'm lucky. So you can imagine how much goes into laundry alone.

Then I started making our cleaners. All of them (at this point anyway... I haven't progressed to things like laundry detergent and shampoos that wouldn't have it) include vinegar in some amount. Our main spray bottle (that I use to wipe counters, tables, etc) is actually just plain ole vinegar alone! Sometimes I sprinkle baking soda before using it... but still nothing mixed before-hand. Some jobs, like the tub or toilet, I end up pouring straight from the bottle instead of using our sprayer. Others, like glass cleaner and baby wipe solution, are a lot more diluted... and thankfully I don't have to mix them very often at all.

Somewhere along the way I realized that adding it to the dishwasher helped too. So factor that in. Some loads of hand-washed dishes end up having it too. I'm not consistant w/ that though.

Random other things...

Like adding to baby's bath when there's a nasty rash (esp yeast) but I think I've mentioned that before. Probably multiple times lol.

Conditioning... I've only done that once but it worked great. I'd prob do it more often, but I'm afraid of turning my hair blonde. If I knew for sure it'd go red (either is possible) I wouldn't mind so much...

Killing bugs and/or driving them away... I haven't really had a lot of need for that lately though.. thankfully. Last years ant infestation (not our apt alone... the complex) was awful. I don't want a repeat... and haven't seen a single one in here since, even though I have seen a few outside.

Unstopping drains... and preventing it from happening to begin with. We actually use that one a lot lol.

I'm sure I could go on. I think I need to relink a site I found awhile back on 1001 uses for vinegar... It was a great little site. I couldn't believe how much there was.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Wow! I had no idea that vinegar could be used in so many different ways.

Mama Kalila said...

Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself. Can't imagine getting along w/out it now.

sabiwabi said...

I was just thinking about vinegar and planning on starting to use it in my wash loads, so many people say that it is wonderful for keeping colors from fading.

Mama Kalila said...

Yeah... I forgot to mention that, but I've heard that as a reason for adding it to dark loads.

Marni's Organized Mess said...

I am going to have to check that out. I LOVE some of these ideas. I only use it for a few things right now.