Pages

15 April, 2009

Surprisingly Good...

I'm not one of those mom's who hides vegetables in our food. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those who do... I'm intregued by the recipes actually. Besides, we do what we have too right? But I don't do it because I don't want my kids (kid at this point lol) just to get their veggies at any cost and I'm afraid of it lending towards that. I want them (her) to like vegetables. I want her to choose to eat carrots or bell peppers or random veggie #879. I'm sure that can happen w/ the hiding thing too, but... still.

But... Kalila is a toddler. And you know toddlers.... one minute they can eat great, even slurping down onions and the next pick out all the grilled onions and throw them on the floor lol. I'll admit I cave in to worrying if she gets enough of certain things sometimes.

Backing up a bit... We've moved past the me making her something separate to eat too. She eats what we do.... 9/10ths of the time. She's had (and ate) everything from hotdogs to curry to baked tilapia. No issues there... But... there are some nights that Baba is not home, tonight for instance, and I'm just not ready to eat... I want her to have a steady schedule... So those times, unless I'm on top of things and have dinner going anyway, I whip up something just for her and our dinner gets made later. Tonight was one of those nights.

I thought about it a few minutes and then decided to make mac and cheese. Nice and simple right? But I didn't want to just do mac and cheese. I've made it mixed w/ spinach before (just tossed in) and she loves that... But our spinach, if we have any, is hidden at the bottom of the freezer. For a split second I had the thought of adding onions... but I didn't feel like going through the trouble if she's gonna throw em out... and I never know. That's when I thought of the hidden veggie thing... and I caved. I put onions in the blender, added a tomato (one thing we rarely can get her to try oddly enough) and some milk and blended it up good... added it, along w/ some garlic salt (not much because of the salt... we ran out of powder) to the noodles and then a bunch of cheese slices.

And she ate it up... and it looked so good I had to try it myself. Yup... it was great.

Don't expect me to start hiding veggies in everything now lol... I still want her to learn to like them on their own (and thankfully for the most part she does so far). But this is a recipe I'll repeat (and as soon as she's old enough share the recipe with). I might even try a few others every now and then lol... We'll see.

3 comments:

Steph said...

That actually sounds really yummy. I would try it if Kairi ate mac and cheese..... But I bet Alex would enjoy it!

And I understand wanting the children to eat the veggies, but I don't think that occasionally hiding them in their food is a bad idea either. I went through a period with Kairi where it had to be covered in marinara sauce in order for her to eat a single veggie. So I did a lot of pastas with veggies. We still eat a lot of pasta and veggies, but now she'll eat most of what's on her plate as well.

That's strange about Kalila not being willing to try tomatoes. Alex usually insists on having several. Takes one bit of each, and then spitting them out. lol ... Oh well, at least he keeps trying them. One day he'll like them.

Mama Kalila said...

It was. I guess I feel the same way lol... obviously I'm willing to try it. I just don't want to get to the point that I'm relying on hiding them for her to eat it if that makes sense.

But at the same time, I've done what you mentioned but w/ cheese instead of pasta sauce and I guess that's about the same concept. Whatever works lol.

I think the tomato thing is strange too. She asks for them, but plays w/ em and then they get thrown. I just keep hoping. She ate up this stuff though, so improvement!

LittleMama said...

Cool sounds good.