Pages

04 April, 2009

Green... Teeth?

You know it just hit me... Most of the options on the poll were technically green or eco friendly in some way (other than BC, birthing methods and possibly recipes - ok I guess it was a little over half that are lol). Made it rather hard to figure out what to do here. But I found something interesting...

Have you ever thought about brushing your teeth? Ok... obviously most of us (I'd say all, but you know... there's always one) think about it to some extent. But is it something we need to be "greener" about?

The last time we made a toothbrush purchase we bought one w/ natural bristles... Mostly because its what was available and looked interesting. But I haven't thought about it much past that...

But apparently someone else has because there is all kinds of information out about the wastefulness of non-recyclable toothbrushes (honestly I don't know if mine is or not) and other options.

For instance there is the Preserve Toothbrush made mostly of recycled yogurt cups. Obviously is recyclable. Price is about $3.50 a brush... Is slightly cheaper on Amazon and actually has a better price than the same number of Colgate Max Fresh on there.

There's also the Radius Toothbrush which supposedly lasts longer than other toothbrushes and is recyclable as well.

And of course there are a number of kinds that do the removable head thing...

What about toothpaste?

Well... Baba has to use Sensodine (sp? lol I'm horrible) and I tend to use an Indian brand... but for curiosities sake (again) I decided to look it up...

And just have to link this... Family Friendly Review... Much better than I could have written as I haven't tried them!

Honestly I don't see us making any changes in this area... at least not any time soon. But is still pretty interesting.

2 comments:

mistika said...

Not sure if I want a recycle toothbrush in my mouth!

Mama Kalila said...

LOL it's all been thouroghly sanitized and stuff...

My issue w/ it (besides price.. they are equal to most regular ones, but we're buying the cheapies right now) is that where we live its not possible to do much recycling at all. If we lived in a house in the same city it'd be easy... in apartments there's no where to go. So we'd be throwing away recycled plastic... which makes it completely beside the point of getting it the first place and would be such a waste.