Pages

23 April, 2009

Admitting to Myself

I'm Hypoglycemic. I was diagnosed... after a random blood test sent me in for further testing... about ten years ago. All of the sudden a lot of things made sense. Why I was always tired. Why I was always hungry. Why I'd come w/in an inch of passing out... Etc. I'm assuming I'd had it for years by that point... because I found out midway through my freshman year of college and not only was the first half a blur... but so was most of high school.

I was worried about dealing with this during my pregnancy... but all of the sudden my symptoms went away. It was great... I could drink a whole glass of orange juice, even two.. and not crash afterwards. Still worried about diabetes (it increases the risk) I had the stupid glucose test twice. Both times my blood sugar was competely normal.. and not anywhere near as low as those typically send me.

Since Kalila was born... I guess I was hoping it wouldn't come back. But as time has passed more and more symptoms popping back up. It really hit me today when I was cleaning the baby's room and nearly blacked out. Granted I don't know for sure that's the reason... but I made a comment on facebook and an aunt said something about checking my sugar and I started thinking back... Got on the Hypoglycemia Support Foundation's website thinking I might make a post on the topic in general.. and saw their quiz. After taking it... I realized just how many symptoms of it I'm having... more than I'd realized.

I need to get back on my diet. I am not looking forward to this. I was enjoying not having to worry about eating all day long (not literally.. .but finding time to eat 6 times a day seems like it). Drinking juice... I can't say a blessed thing about eating chocolate and candies because to be honest, even when I was most on top of my diet... I still ate them lol. I figured out ways to manage it.. but still. I'm not looking forward to figuring that all out again!

7 comments:

Lelo and Stitch said...

I am sorry you are dealing with this again.

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks...

babyyahyah said...

i actually have this too. i can't fast during lent or really go 2 hours without food.

Christy said...

Wow. That sounds frustrating. My kids don't even eat six times per day. Sorry you have to deal with this.

Mama Kalila said...

Babyyahyah - W/ the exception of this year... I've never had a problem w/ the two fasting days in Lent. I'm not really sure why, but I guess God has something to do w/ that lol. This year was rough though... I don't know if its because I haven't been on top of things in the first place or if its because I've been exempt for the past two years. I know I am every year for being hypoglycemic, but I don't count that since I usually can make it.

Christy - Thanks. Kalila doesn't either... Well... maybe she does... thinking about it.

Mistika said...

Thanks for posting that I think I am having my sugar problems again..this week I being feeling very bad but I started to exercise again and it does make a change.

Mama Kalila said...

Mistika - understood. I wish excorsize helped me more... I'm always going lol.