Pages

02 January, 2009

Taking a Tour

Good news!

We toured the Birthing Center today (and yes I just linked the website) and it went really well. First off the people there are very nice. Always a good thing lol.

Before we even took the tour we sat down and talked to one of the midwifes. I told her about Kalila's birth... from her cord being wrapped (loosly) around her neck - which is common and not an issue - I was told that at the hospital when it happened too, to them giving me pitocin and lying about it (they said it was a saline drip) and pulling out the placenta instead of delivering it - which caused me to bleed. She said that wasn't an issue either and happens a lot in hospitals, I didn't think it would be, but wanted to be safe and mention it. I also mentioned the whole Ab screen thing I found in my paperwork... and like I was hoping - it's not an issue either! They do screening throughout the pregnancy just like an Ob would. So it's still a viable option.

The tour went well too.... Obviously, like most other mom's that go there, I like the bigger room better lol... but both are nice. This actually took the least amount of time because other than offices and the prenatal section there are just the two rooms. During this time she also told me about the meds/equipment they have in case of complications and we discussed insurance info.

Like I said, it went really well.

Thankfully it's not an issue yet though because I still have family to reassure and all that lol. My side will be easy since Las did the midwife thing (at home no less) and everyone's already been through this. Baba's side will be starting from scratch with the concept though. Which is fine, I understand because I remember being there...

1 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Lelo and Stitch said...

I really like the idea of not being in a regular hospital.. have I ever mentioned I HATE hospitals? perhaps its because of the amount of time I have spent in them.

January 2, 2009 8:44 PM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

Yeah, I hate hospitals too. All I can say on that subject is to research it all before you get pg (or at least early on) before making a decision either way... and if you do decide to go w/ a hospital do extra research and stand up for yourself about how you want things. Somethings are out of your control of course, but others aren't and they will try and take your rights away. Not to scare ya of course lol. Some hospitals aren't like that (or so I've heard).

January 2, 2009 8:48 PM
Delete
Blogger Steph said...

Good! I hope that it works out that the birthing center is where you want to be! I wish that they had been an option with Alex. Although my second hospital was much better than my first.

With Kairi, I was terrified and completely clueless. In the end they were probably trying to help me do what was best, but I was truly scared out of my mind.

With Alex my only problem was that the nurses were totally uneducated in breastfed babies, especially since Alex was small.

I will always wonder if with Alex I could have actually delivered him as a VBAC, but our local birthing center wasn't willing to even try. My ob let me go as far as she was comfortable, but in the end I had a second c/s...no fun.

January 3, 2009 6:38 AM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

Thanks. I'm glad your second went better btw... Here the center would have worked with you, the midwife has experience w/ VBac's and mentioned them specifically. I hope I never need a c-section but I'm glad to know I have an option for the next baby if I ever do. I can understand why the one there might be hesitant though... from what I've seen online a lot are (although dr's are worse about it).

Is funny, with Kalila I did a ton of research and still was clueless lol. I couldn't tour the hospital or take classes so that was the biggest part of that. If I had I would have been forewarned about most of the things that happened.

I did get lucking with Bfing, the hospital actually supported it for the most part. They did give a pie (pacifer) against our wishes and didn't hand her over right away... and did send us home w/ formula (but the nurse told us we could toss it lol). Other than that though... they did send in a nurse to answer questions and guide us through it. Unfortunately a lot of what she told me contradicted what I already knew and had me second guessing myself for awhile.

I'm half way thinking about putting up her birth story (I don't think I have yet lol) but haven't decided.

January 3, 2009 1:23 PM
Delete
Blogger Steph said...

I've never read your birth story -- I would love to though!

I did next to no research (except for carseats) when pg w/ Kairi. I had my reasons .... I did a ton w/ Alex though and it made all the difference in the world with my confidence at the hospital. That, and I'd done it before.

Tell you what, if you post your birth story, I'll post mine .... on the second blog though. Not the family one. Nope -- not putting that out there for all of them.

January 3, 2009 5:45 PM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

LOL ok I'll do that in the next couple days then. And understood, I wouldn't put mine on the other either. I know some may see it here, but still... not as likely

January 3, 2009 6:58 PM