Pages

27 January, 2009

Product Safety

In the past year and a half I have come to realize that my child's safety is not top priority to stores and/or manufacturers. I'm having to step up and question is this safe or not, do research, etc. Someone mentioned, recently, that we can't keep our kids locked in a padded room for 5 years... which is entirely true. But at the same time it is our responcibility to keep them safe while they can't do it themselves...

We all know about recalls (esp over lead issues), and contamination issues (like BPA and melamine). They're all over the news... I'm constantly getting email updates over something or another. The good news is that they are being recalled (or made public at least) and it's easy to find out about... even as worrying as it becomes. LOL - My mom is afraid to buy toys for fear it'll be recalled...

But some of the ones to surprise me...

Wipe Warmers... I remember thinking that sounded kinda cool... Not something we needed, but if someone gave one to us that'd be great... No... They grow bacteria! That may not be as much of issue for some people, but where we live we fight mold constantly... That could get bad really fast.

Carseat Products... Aftermarket things... We were given some cushions for Kalila's infant seat and used them until she switched to the convertable one... Yeah, they interfere w/ the harness (and looking back I can see how they do) and make the seat unsafe in an accident. Other products are considered unsafe for a variety of reasons... all boil down to not being tested w/ the carseat itself and causing injury. Any of these products (other than the little head rests or rolled up blankets around the head and neck) will void the warranty on your seat! I looked it up on our seat manual the other day and 100% true. I'd heard it from a carseat safety technician, but I wanted to see for myself of course...

I'm not even going near the bottle propper stuff... Everyone knows that's unsafe, I have no idea how they are getting away with that one lol.

Regular crib bumpers are still sold with sets and are a suffication/sids hazard... everything/one says not to use them... but they're everywhere. They do make nice breathable ones, but they don't come w/ the cute sets lol. We put our bumper around the bottom of the crib to fix that... I honestly didn't know when I put the set on the registry though... I've always seen the pics of the nurserys set up with them! Of course on the other side of this, I've heard mom's say they use them while the baby's small enough to not move and take them off when they start rolling... Kalila's always snuggled up to the bars though (after we moved her to the crib that is) so that wouldn't have worked for us lol.

A friend clued me in on the Hylands teething tablets early on (thankfully). Several kids have overdosed on those pretty badly... On one hand it's a medicine (even if natural) and there's always a chance of something going wrong when they produce it... but w/ belladona involved I decided to err on the side of caution lol.

What's sad is I'm sure there's more that I don't know about... and on one hand I try not to worry about it too much because I know Im a paranoid first time mama lol... but on the other, if it's something big (like the carseat stuff) I really want to know.

Feel free to add any other should be avoided products....

5 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Steph said...

I can't think of any off the top of my head, I may come back to it though. But I will say that we use our bumpers. I've never taken them off. My kids would scoot until their heads banged against the bars and that would wake them up. Kairi had a nasty knot from it, so we used the bumpers. Maybe I never understood it being a big deal because my kids would sleep against it but not cuddle w/ it, but that one never truly concerned me.

January 27, 2009 12:40 PM

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Mama Kalila said...

Understood... I actually hesitated to list those because of that... I've heard of other people that use them w/ no problems and for similar reasons to yours. Paranoid me heard of babies noses barried though and left em off lol... but I'm glad I did because Kalila pushes up as far as possible into the bars (will wake up with lines sometimes lol) so it would be an issue w/ her... Anyways, just included it because it is one to consider.

January 27, 2009 12:55 PM

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Lelo and Stitch said...

wow :-P I am glad to know this information... not that I need to right now :-D

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger kate said...

There are TONS of scary things out there that can really harm us. It's terrible. I've been focusing on the body care we use at our house. The ingredients they put into shampoos, lotions, soaps, etc., is ridiculous. And none of it is regulated. It just makes no sense to me since it's common knowledge (I assume) that our skin absorbs anything we put on it. I have opted to make my own body care for our family with all natural ingredients. The majority of what I use are plant based and they work just as well as whatever these large companies are using. Actually I would say BETTER :) Check out my new little shop on Etsy. I just started the stay at home mama thing and I'm trying to sell the products I make for mothers and babies to add a little more income to our household.

http://www.mamakates.etsy.com

January 30, 2009 11:18 AM
Delete

Mama Kalila said...

Abby - Understood..

Kate - Yeah... I haven't started getting into all that yet, but it is something to think about. We're still starting out w/ everything though lol. I'll have to check your site asap though!