Pages

13 January, 2009

Birthing Center Questions

Now... I know everyone's got questions about the whole birthing center/midwife thing. (or at least everyone not on my mom's side of the family lol). I guess I just assumed I would have covered everything (or a good bit) in my post on the tour, but looking back I really didn't lol. I'd planned on emailing more questions to the midwife at some point, but wanted to wait until I had more lol. Instead I ended up doing that last night. Oh well... I probably will be sending another round at some point though, so if you have any not addressed here, please either email them to me or add them in the comments section of this post (best option in case someone else has the same question... just make sure you click the box to receive responses to your comment... I always reply that way). If I can answer it w/out emailing the midwife I'll do so right away, if not then I'll get to it asap.

Ok... First off someone asked about the cost involved if I ended up transferring to a hospital. I'm going to copy paste both my question and her responce first.
1) If something happened & I ended up needing to have a hospital birth instead of using the birthing center, would we still have to pay the same amount as we would if I used the center (in addition to the extra hospital bill)? In the contract it states that after 36 weeks your balance is due to be paid in full, and it will not be refunded. The reason is because you are hiring a midwife to assist you in prenatal care and the birth of your baby, not necessarilyl to "deliver" the baby.
So basically if I transferred out of her care before 36 weeks (just under 9months along) we would not be responcible for the full cost... after 36 weeks we would. That being said.. I looked up the cost of prenatal care (not including hospital/labour costs). If we used an Ob/Gyn instead of a midwife we would pay around the same amount for the prenatal care alone. So if I did transfer, the total cost we'd have paid the birthing center and the hospital would be the same as the total cost we'd pay for a doctor and hospital.

We've also been questioned about the safety of using a birthing center if there are complications...
2.) I know you mentioned the medications available if I had a hemorrhage... but what exactly would happen if I had a major complication. Same if there was one w/ the baby. That depends on what the "major complication" is. If necessary you (and/or baby) will be transported to the nearest hospital, which is located 4 minutes away.
I already knew this answer, but had to ask it anyway lol. Basically she is qualified and able to handle many things that can happen... They have medications and equipment there to deal with them... If it's serious enough yes they will transport me (and him or her) the whole 4 minutes to the hospital. If you are wondering about the hospital costs, those would still not be the same as if I delivered there, they'd be for the procedures they perform due to the complications (and would have had added on to the bill if I'd delivered there as well).

Also, while doing research I found that statistically only 12% of women transfer to a hospital and only about 2 % are emergency transfers. That info is from the AABC, which is linked on the Birthing Centers link page, and now on mine as well.

Completely random question here, but it was asked lol.
3.) Is hypnobirthing an option/offered? You are able to do hypno birthing if you choose. We encourage our moms to do some form of birth techniques/classes.
I'm not sure I would want to go this route, but I'm glad to know it's an option.

I added this one to the end of the email...
Do you have any brochures that we could pick up that might ease their minds about the center and safety issues. We recommend that you show them our website: birthcentersa.com. You will find links to other websites that will have helpful information for you and your family. Also, we recommend the book "The Thinking Women's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. As far as there "not being a doctor" we view pregnancy and birth as a healthy, natural process, but we also understand that there are times when a doctor becomes necessary. We are here for mom and baby and we do what we can to be sure the process is a safe one. :)
So there ya go lol. I know I've emailed that link to a couple people already, and posted it on that other entry though... I looked up that book on Amazon earlier and it is available, I'm not sure if I really want to go out and get it though. I'm about to head to Half Priced Books though, so I may see if it's in stock there.

There are a lot of other sites w/ good info on the subject. I'm slowly adding some to my links on the left side of my page. Like I said before, if you have any more questions.. please send them my way. I'd rather deal with it now than when I really need too lol.

4 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Jaspenelle Stewart said...

I received a ton of questions from people when I chose a midwife (they seemed to think I was going to give birth screaming in agony in a cave with a witch doctor chanting over my body. It is amazing how uninformed people are here (I was raised in Europe where midwives are a lot more common apparently.)

We ended up taking Bradley classes, I adored them! I also read a great book on hynobirthing and a few by Ina Mays.

January 13, 2009 10:16 PM

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Mama Kalila said...

LOL at the witch doctor...

The birthing center here does the birthing from within classes, but I haven't started looking in to what we want to use (other than wanting a water birth). I probably should start doing that ahead of time too. I want as little as possible up in the air before we ever start trying.

January 14, 2009 9:00 AM

birthing centers said...

Hi - this is a great post. We're working on a directory of birthing centers and resource for parents about alternative birthing methods. We'd LOVE your feedback and suggestions.

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks. I'll be sure to check that out.