Pages

31 December, 2008

Worried... Very Worried

We scheduled a tour at the Birthing Center for this week... not because I'm pregnant or because we're ttc because I'm not and we're not yet... But becuse we want to get everything planned before we do and just in case. I have been very excited about this....

Anyways, so I was looking for one thing and found our discharge papers from the hospital. Curious I started looking at them. Towards the top they listed all the things I'd been tested for (most of which I'd both heard of and knew I didn't have lol) but one thing caught my attention. It said "Ab screen positive". Further down it said it again a couple times. Seeing anything say positive worried me, especially since I was not told about it... so I got online to look it up.

And what I found both worries and confuses me even more. All I can find is info on antibody screening... which makes perfect sense that they'd test me for since I am Rh neg and my daughter is Rh positive. They had to test me for that... But if I'd tested positive for them then they would have told me right? They'd have to because it can endanger future babies. On top of that... They gave me another shot of Rhogam before I left the hospital... something that they would not do if I had the antibodies because it's pointless to give it at that point!

So I have no clue what's going on here... I'm afraid my future pregnancies will all be high risk, which means I may be stuck having more hospital births when that is the last thing I want... and worse what it could do to our children!

We're seeing the midwife Friday though... So I'm gonna get her opinion while we are there and hoping/praying for the best. Baba wants to get me retested when we can get a chance... if it is that. Part of me is hoping it's some other random thing that I just haven't figured out what yet.

1 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

OpenID Jaspenelle said...

If you are Ab+ (which is just a blood type, though a rare one I though...) I have no clue why they gave you Rhogan!

I am B- so I need the Rhogan shot. My doctor didn't even tell me I was until the appointment I was to get the shot came. I was SO pissed and refused it (since I hadn't researched it) and got the talk of how I would kill my baby. Grrr. So no, I don't think they would have necessarily told you.

(Btw, after that visit, I switched to a midwife lol. My midwife, since she was a certified nurse midwife, was able to give me the Rhogan shot, I chose to have it after giving birth but not during the pregnancy. I had an out of hospital birth. Even my group B strep didn't make he high risk.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you but I don't think it will be an issue.

January 1, 2009 10:04 AM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

I'm not AB+ lol. I'm B- as well... and it said that on my paperwork just before it said my Ab screen was positive. when I typed up that phrase it comes up as antibody screen. Meaning some of her cells crossed and I made antibodies (exactly what Rhogam prevents). However, I did have Rhogam shots when I was supposed to so I don't understand how that could happen. Or why they wouldn't tell me since it would make me high risk next time!

January 1, 2009 10:09 AM
Delete
Blogger Steph said...

So strange! I hope that you get it figured out quickly. Be sure and share what she tells you. I'm curious.... And praying. (((hugs)))

January 1, 2009 10:24 AM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

Thanks!

January 1, 2009 10:39 AM