Pages

26 November, 2008

Animal Stories and Other Fun Stuff...

This entry has changed names several times... First it was going to have something about kitties in it (I forget exactly). Then wolves and goats got added. Then there were dogs... and finally I gave up and went generic... (note: the second part of title is a tad sarcastic.. just warning ya)

So yesterday morning Kalila woke up (for the 4th time, but I'll get back to that) hungry and we were lying in bed... Kimosimi jumped up, purring, and laid on top of me too.. right on my tummy, right behind Kalila. I looked down just in time to see him lick Kalila's head. My kitty was grooming my baby! So sweet...

Baba needed a book for class, so we headed over to HPB's yesterday too... and found Kalila a great little book called "We are Wolves". It's got beautiful pictures... and has the padded cover like her bedtime book, which is great because she can't tear it up lol. I read it to her earlier today and she loved it. Of course they look enough like puppies that I knew she would!

While we were there though, we found a book I have been looking for for years! Ok, so Baba found it... The Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales. As a kid I loved the story "The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats". I read it over and over.. and then read it to my little sister... once agian over and over. I wanted to read it to Kalila too and now I can. (and did as soon as we came home)

Speaking of goat... I made a stew a couple days ago w/ goat meat... It was sooooo good! I'll prob end up sharing this on the other blog, but oh well I'm linking it here too... (besides I just put up a post on there that I'm excited about and don't want to bump down just yet lol) is just too good not to share. Tanzanian Meat Stew. (note: can be made w/ any red meat.. and there is another recipe for a vegetable one on the same site) The only issue we had with it... I need to make a much larger batch next time (and there will be many next times). Not only did I like it, but Baba did too... in fact he cleaned out the pan... Kalila didn't eat near as much as we did (of course) but she enjoyed her first taste of goat too. Big smiles when she first tasted it... I wish I'd thought to take a pic!

We also had our first Thanksgiving dinner of the year yesterday. Kalila's Godfather's side of the family... It was really nice. Kalila was excited about their dogs lol. One of them kept licking her and she thought it was the funniest thing ever. At one point she started chasing them around like she does our cats. I'm glad she seems to be completely over that fear of dogs thing...

I mentioned earlier about Kalila waking up the other night... She's teething. Molars. It's been awful. Sleeping through the night is long gone (although she did last night.. .was nice but I'm not counting on a repeat lol). Plus (warning for the squeemish... diaper talk here) she's having the nasty diapers again... which has given her a bit of a rash. At least it's the only thing we can think of that was causing it (I say was for a reason). It would have been fine... we're treating it like we always do - bm, air drying, and vinegar in the bath... Change her twice as often... all that fun stuff.

But she woke up 4 times the other night. We got up for the day and of course I was exhausted.... Nap time comes and I meant to nurse her, change her diaper and put her down... but I fell asleep with her while she was nursing (so did Baba for that matter). All 3 of us on the couch. And we slept for 3 hours! Nice right? Except she was wet... and when we woke up and changed the diaper... her rash was worse. I felt (feel) horrible about it... So we broke out the diaper liners and strong rash creme.

Last night she slept. It was great. I got her up and changed... and the rash seemed better, but I put another liner and the creme again. She ate breakfast... and then I went to change her again and she was bleeding! That hasn't happened since the blueberries. Part of me is wondering if the liner was keeping moisture by her skin (but how to fix that?) and the other part is wondering if the seseme seeds in the crackers last night could do it (they were in the diaper at that point).

Poor thing was crying. I felt awful about it. I got her in the bath and she cried when I added the vinegar. I wanted to cry too... I found the tube of diaper safe creme we had (I didn't throw it because there's a little left, it's just hard to get too.. I'm glad now I didn't) and put it on her instead. It's not as strong, but she's seemed a little better each time I've changed her since... It makes me wish I could get a new thing of the stuff...

I should go... I've still got a few things to prep before tomorrow. We've got to get up early...

2 comments:

Christy said...

Poor baby girl. I am so sorry to hear about her rash. It sounds painful.

I hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks.. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving too!

And yeah, I feel horrid for her... it's getting better, and she's fine as long as we're not touching it, but changes are awful.