Pages

18 October, 2008

I'll Have a Little French Toast With My Cinnamon Please!

My last trip to the Half Priced Books I found a little cookbook geared towards babies & toddlers. I really would have liked to have had it earlier on, because we're getting away from making Kalila her own seperate meals... I think I mentioned that in my last post lol. But it has some cute snack ideas & some of the recipes just sound yummy to me too (I'm not above eating baby food if it's this kind lol). I'll probably refer to stuff in it from time to time like I did w/ the wholesomebabyfood site.

One of the recipes in there was for French Toast. I'll admit it... I'd never had it before let alone made it. But it sounded like a good thing to try on Kalila... a new way to make eggs (esp since she can have the whites now), has bread in it, etc... Plus just sounds good... and I asked Baba & apparently he likes French Toast!

So I decided to try it. First time around no problems other than me getting distracted & the first piece soaking in the mixture too long lol. So instead of 3 pieces, it only made 2. Kalila ate one & loved it.. and Baba got the other one... and gave me a lecture as he pulled out the powdered sugar on how it just has to have the stuff... (so I'll pull it out for him next time lol... Kalila doesn't need that).

Well I decided to make it agian... and when I went to add the cinnamon I accidently dumped it out in there! Way too much cinnamon.... thankfully Kalila didn't mind lol. I had a couple pieces myself & not complaining either, but I think I'll try & avoid that next time lol.

1 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Steph said...

I want that recipe! :D I love french toast but have never made just b/c I don't know how.

October 19, 2008 1:55 PM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

No prob!

Simple & Super French Toast

1 egg
3 slices whole-wheat bread
1 tablespoon milk or water
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon white sugar (I used raw sugar instead and it worked just fine)
pinch of cinnamon

1. Combine egg, milk, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Beat thoroughly. (I used one of our cereal bowls and a fork, doesn't need to be complicated lol)

2. Heat oil in large frying pan. One at a time dip the bread slices into the egg mix and soak for about 10 seconds. Flip the bread over and soak the other side.

3. Place each of the bread slices into the heated pan (I did em one at a time)

4. Fry on each side until slightly browned, usually 1-3 min per side

5. Let cool completely before cutting and serving as finger food.

I had an idea how it would work because I used to do a variation of it for a sandwhich I made on my sandwich maker nini... I'd soak the bread in egg (I don't remember if I used any milk in it, but instead of cinnamon I'd put garlic or other spices) then put it on the thing lay a piece of cheese on top and then lay another egg mix soaked piece on top of that & close to cook. I may do that w/ a skillet sometime (too much work to clean the nini) because it was really good and Kalila might like it too lol.

October 19, 2008 3:36 PM
Delete
Blogger Steph said...

Thank you!

October 20, 2008 6:43 PM