Pages

22 October, 2008

Annoyed

Ok, so I was reading a post earlier about first ovulation after having a baby/birthcontrol.. and someone gave some bad info on Mirena. They tried to say that it works by stopping the egg from releasing so there is no chance of you aborting a baby every month. I knew that wasn't right so I went to Mirena's website... and found this:

While there is no single explanation for how Mirena® works, it may:

  • Block sperm from reaching or fertilizing your egg
  • Make the lining of your uterus thin (this may also result in benefits like less menstrual bleeding over time)
  • Stop the release of your egg from your ovary (but this is not the way it works in most cases)

It is believed that all 3 of these actions may work together to prevent pregnancy.

Ok... Forget the fact that thinning the lining does in no way prevent pregnancy like the last line suggests (although it does "prevent" one from continuing) & look at the disclaimer on the part about stopping the egg from releasing. I was right, her info was off lol.

But that's not why I'm annoyed.

I'm annoyed because while I was on there I started clicking around curiously and saw a link to compair it to other forms of birth control... They had NFP listed. I had a sinking feeling that they were using the name NFP w / the stats for the infamous rhythm method. I was close...

They say it's only 75% effective for one! While looking up the exact numbers (because I couldn't remember if its' really 98% or 99% effective when used correctly) I found out that they combine rhythm and calendar methods in with NFP, as well as the people who use it to get pregnant, when they provide stats for it in a lot of places. Which is probably why there's so low on that site. Very misleading... Not only throw in the people using methods not approved for NFP for being unreliable, but skew the stats even more by adding in people TRYING to get pregnant? FYI - the stats I got off of a medical site were 90 - 99% reliable to avoid pregnancy. Big difference even between 90 and 75 (although this is the first time I've seen that number, so I'm guessing 90 was put as margin of error for those not following as strictly).

Then they say that you have to have regular cycles for it to work! No... you don't... and you can use it while nursing and have no cycles too... I know because I am... and I haven't gotten pregnant yet have I? I won't claim it's easy w/ no cycle by any means.. but it can be done. (Irregular cycles are still cycles and not that hard to work with).

It also lists monitoring and discipline under disadvantages lol... I'll give them that, although I don't think taking a moment to check myself and write it down is that big a deal... and in my opinion if you're having sex, having some discipline is not a bad thing. It's called taking responsibility...

Another thing I noticed was that the "information" on the others under disadvantages left a lot out... nothing is said about safety or health... (of course there are warnings on their own product in other parts of their site).

Of course it's my own fault for getting annoyed... I looked at the stupid page lol.

0 comments: