Pages

19 August, 2008

Mmmm.. Let's Eat!

I was on AllMediocre earlier & read about this Dinner Party idea going around... Clicked over to read about it & sounded like a really cute idea. Basically you pick 10 people/blogs you'd like to "invite over" to your dinner party & tell a little about them. If you're interested in doing it to you can click over to Barking Mad's page or even to AllMediocre (is up on there too)

Me, being me, wants to add a little to mine... Of course I'm gonna explain all about why I'm inviting who I'm inviting... but I'm hoping they'll actually "show up" so to speak.

So who's invited? I wish I could invite you all... but there's not enough room in my apartment! So for now I'll just stick with Nzingha, Christy, Amy, Molly, Stephanie, Organica, Kay, Sabrina, Sabiwabi, & Quinn. I'd love to see yall here...

Since I'm being lazy we have such a varied group (the only way it could be more so is if I invited Greg, but I figure I shouldn't put anymore people I know in real life than I did), I thought maybe each of you could bring a dish you'd like to share. It can be anything you want, but Amy.... you have to make a stop by TZ on the way here & bring some Fanta Passion. You have no choice... (yes I'm still craving it) You can bring something else too if you like though! Ok, ok, I'll admit it has less to do with varied guests (I don't know what you mean about laziness, that's not me at all) and everything to do w/ me wanting that drink... and Quinn's repeatedly telling me that I should have his brisket/steak/whatever he's making for cookouts. I know yall have a long way to travel and it might get tricky with all that food, but... your food/drinks should fit well on our small table (ie comments page). If anyone else would like to come/bring food - feel free... we'll make some space! (let me just toss the cats in the back & clear the baby toys out of the way)

Nzingha... I've probably mentioned her before. She was literally the person who introduced me to blogging. I was looking up something wedding related one day early in our engagement and found a post (having nothing to do w/ weddings) and was hooked from then on. She's always got interesting posts... some based on odd/interesting stories in the news, crazy maid stories, and of course a ton on life w/ her 5 kids and general life in Saudi. I just love it. I love her take charge attitude, how she doesn't put up with stuff lol, and how she deals with life in general. Plus I love seeing all the projects she puts up.. I like to scrapbook myself, but hardly anytime to do it anymore... would be cool to get pointers from someone that good. Besides, I'm amazed at the amount of comments she gets on her blog lol.

Christy (ie Cakerwakers) - I vaguely remember finding her blog... it was sometime in the depths of having a newborn baby & no sleep. All is fuzzy. I can tell you this is the post that brought me there. I was looking up the high chair that we planned to get. She's got two adorable babies that I enjoy reading about & seeing pictures of. She introduced me to the Stream of Consciousness style of writing on here that I absolutely love. I love reading about her life, and her kids... Her youngest is the same age (about) as Kalila so some of what she's dealing w/ I am too... (and the rest I can symphatize with) and since she's got an older child too... I can see what I have to look forward too... esp as our family grows. I think she'd be fun to get together with.. and the kids would have a blast.

Stephanie
- Actually, a lot of what I wrote above fits w/ her too. She has two adorable babies who just seem to be growing up too fast... and about the same ages as Christy's kids too! (Now can you imagine if we all got together lol) Her husband is in the Navy, and just got back home. I just love hearing the cute stories that happen over there... and she happens to be passionate about some of the same things I am. Now, I have to admit... I do actually know her in real life. We went to college together... had the same major, so many many classes together. & we have some of the same friends. But, while I did get to know her to some extent there, it really wasn't until recently - through myspace, blogs, and children - that I've really considered her a good friend.

Amy - is another I'll admit I know for real. & I am pretty sure is a friend of Stephanie's too lol. I met her my second year in college & we became very good friends. Most stories you'll hear of my trips to Africa will have her involved somehow... Anyways, she's moved to Rwanda, Kigali to be exact. She shares some hilarious stories that would only happen in Afrika.... and I'll admit it.. I'm a bit jealous about her latest trip to Zanzibar! She managed to come back to the states for a few weeks this summer, but I didn't get to see her. I hope she makes it back for my dinner though!

Molly (aka Multicultural Muslimah) - I found her off of Nzingha I think... at least in a round about way... There's quite a few blogs that I came to read threw her & then some from them... She was in that circle somewhere or another. The first thing I have to mention that really had me running to read her blog was Random Wednesdays. I loved it. & miss it so much now that she's not doing them anymore (hint hint). She has a few stories about her conversion to Islam... which interest me, because pretty much all conversion stories do. And stories about dealing w/ her family being a different religion, which I understand all too well (although most of mine are just a different denomination, things still pop up). Is kinda cool seeing those similarities, shows how alike we (people) can be even when we're different. Obviously, if you've clicked through those links, you can see by now that she's moved from one blog to another when she made her move to Egypt. Honestly I'm still adjusting to the new site, but enjoying reading it just as much. Anyways, I could probably go on here... I think she'd be a cool addition to my dinner party... although my husband would probably start up an annoying interesting discussion about WOW with her...

Kay (aka Green Mama) - Is one of the newer blogs I've started reading. I found her on CafeMom & am so glad I did. She hasn't been on long, so I can't say a whole lot. But I love some of her tips for living green on a budget. She's also on a water fast at the moment (unless she's made it to the point where she's adding in the juice) so I'm not sure how we'll work around that. Like many other of my guests, she seems to be very crafty, hmm... I'm starting to see an intentional theme going here. But as I said before, she's new & I'm really looking forward to reading more of her blog and learning more about her.

Organica - Another offshoot from Nzingha, by way of Molly this time I believe lol. I think (no I know) I have mentioned her on here before... because I LOVE her clothes. She puts together some great outfits. Apparently she also has a cross-dressing/hijab wearing cat (and I thought our cats were odd). She loves teaching & children, discusses all kinds of issues, and can ramble with the best of them... Like of couple other blogs I read I enjoy reading the comments left almost as much as reading the entries themselves (ie pink niqab w/ bling ;-j ). No, like the others she seems like a very interesting person that I would enjoy getting to know.

Sabrina - is the one I'll shamedly (is that a word?) admit that I periodically forget to check in on... She's about to have her 5th baby (another similarity between a couple guests) pretty soon. I have no idea how I found her blog, but I'm glad I did.
She, like me & a few others on the list, has switched to cloth diapers - that may have been how I found her! She also runs a home daycare, something I've thought about myself, so I'm always interested in reading about that. Like Nzingha, I love reading about life w/ all those kids & what we will, hopefully, have to look forward to someday. Maybe I can get some wisdom about that while she's here lol.

Sabiwabi of Oy Habibti - Well... another Nzingha offshoot (I hit the jackpot when I wandered into blogging didn't I?) I just had to keep reading when I read their description... I mean, how could they not be interesting? She's into henna, archiology, love vacations, and is just a fun blog to read. I'm sure we'd have an interesting time if she were here.

Last but not least is Quinn. I really hope these links work because silly silly Quinn has a myspace blog... I debated adding him because of that, and because like Amy & Stephanie I know him in real life... but a dinner party would not be the same without him. For one thing, he is an amazing cook from what I hear (I havne't had the pleasure of going to any of his cookouts unfortunately). He's also just great to have around, is stinking halarious and will have everyone laughing before long. He loves his neice and nephew... They're sure to come up in a story or two. He can be a little blunt, but it's something we all love about him... and he writes music, so we might even get him to sing! (Now if only we can convince him to get a real blog...)

Hmmm... Now I just need to figure out what I'm bringing... I look forward to seeing yall here!

12 comments:

Sabrina said...

How neat! Always fun to read about other people and their blogs. I might just have to stop at a few and check them out!

Steph said...

Aww! That's so fun! I'll have to check out all the other blogs. :D In my extensive spare time, of course. ;) No seriously, I'll look them up. And I agree, Quinn needs a real blog. And I haven't seen Amy's blog before! So I'm going to go check it out very first! :D

If I had 10 blogs that I read, I'd totally do this. But alas, I don't. Or maybe I didn't and this will just add to it. :)

Steph said...

Oh, and you said to bring something with me to eat. How about ... Provolone Chicken on Portobello Mushroom Caps? It's super yummy. And it comes w/ a side salad and crusty bread. mmmmm.... I think that that's what we're having for supper tomorrow night. :D

Mama Kalila said...

Mmmm... That sounds good... esp the mushrooms part. I think I'm gonna add my food last. I'm using the excuse of not wanting it to clash w/ everyone elses or whatever, but really I need time to decide lol.

It just hit me, I forgot to put it in here (ohter that just w/ yours & Christy's at the top) but can you imagine ALL those kids together? LOL I think it's around 20 or so... we'd be greatly outnumbered anyway...

sabiwabi said...

Oh, I promise I would make your dinner party very, very interesting! Just ask my friends......... ;)

I'll bring the henna (can't resist) and some dessert. Dessert would have to be my famous baklava (only two other people know my secret ingredient). I could also whip a quinoa salad or sweet noodle kugel....damn, why did you have to get me talking about food?! Now I'm hungry.

I would love to meet the people that you listed here. Ahhh, to dream....

Thanks for the invite!

Mama Kalila said...

Fun! I love henna...(so does Amy for that matter) I haven't done it in a long time though.

And the food sounds great... it's lunchtime here right now so I'm getting hungry reading these too!

Steph said...

Wow ... I don't think I could handle 20 kids all at once! LOL

You can find that recipe on the new blog. It's one of my favorites. And it's definitely Chris's.

Anonymous said...

alright kris, i'll take care of everything in the beef/steak department!! quinn

Mama Kalila said...

Steph - I have handled that many, but good grief that'd be interesting lol. I did see the recipe on there and am so saving it!

Quinn - Mmmm steak. I'm thinking back to your descriptions of cooking it now...

Molly said...

I'll bring coconut curry chicken and egyptian rice! mmmm. Thanks for inviting me, and giving me a shout out on your blog. thats awesome!

I love your new layout by the way, I love the pics.

Nzingha said...

ok one of the kids took the message and I never got it which explains why I'm so late :)

I'll bring my easy to make lentil soup with some fresh pita. Remember I'm the antisocial one sitting in the corner :)

Mama Kalila said...

That's ok, I'll probably be there too lol.

And yea! I won't spend all day making the bread then...

I guess I'm gonna do appetizer/side-dish things... Everyone begs me to make pinwheels for family stuff so I'll do those... and maybe the lobster avocado somosa recipe that I've been dieing to try! (not sure why.. I don't like lobster lol)