Pages

30 August, 2008

Finally Some Organic We Can Afford

Sun Harvest had a sale this weekend!

Backing up some... We've been wanting to go there for awhile & hadn't had the chance. We finally got to go a couple weeks ago & I fell in love w/ the place. Seriously... all that organic food... all the green options all right there together... all in prices that are doable (some cheaper than other places, some in the budget for section)...

That same day we got our first newspaper (finally broke down & subscribed) and I saw the coupons (good day to do so!) and the insert for Sun Harvest about this sale! I won't go into a lot of detail, but the fact that they had the sweet (white) corn 3 for $1 was reason enough alone to go. I haven't had that kind in ages...

So we went today... I got my corn lol... and a few other things we needed. One thing that's definitely not cheaper there (but we'll work it into our budget anyway) was the organic potatoes. Working w/ a budget, we know we can't buy all organic (in a perfect world sure... but then we wouldn't need to right?) so we have to draw the line at what needs to be organic, and what doesn't. I don't know if I have it linked on here yet, but just in case - here is a good list for determining that. If you clicked that link, you see potatoes are on the dirty dozen side... So today we broke down & got them organic. (Here's to eating healthier)

Another plus to doing some of our shopping there (obviously we're still buying most of our meat at Ali Baba's, bulk items at Sams & such) is that if it turns out Kalila needs non-dairy versions of stuff it's easy to find there. We're hoping (of course) that is not the case... and since she woke up completely rash free this morning... I'm hoping... We're not going to cook her food w/ milk for awhile though (putting that back) and may still leave out the other dairy items for the next week or two (we didn't give her any today) to see, but haven't decided for sure on that. Thinking about it logically, I don't think she ever reacted to yogurt or cheese (I would have noticed) & she would have. & I know she never reacted to me eating any of it... I just worry... paranoid mama here... (and doesn't help that CafeMom is filled w/ mom's who are anti cow's milk to begin with and others who have kids who do have that problem) OH- and on that note: her rash wasn't quite as bad as we thought either lol. (it was still bad) It turns out the peeling wasn't her skin.... but her rash creme... Word of warning: beeswax looks like peeling skin when it comes off!

Anyways, I managed to have fun w/ our grocery shopping this week lol. We're getting back on track w/ planning out our menu's (I found a great site online to help w/ that too... tips & stuff) & trying to make enough to have leftovers (we never do). I'm actually excited about it. Things are definitely looking up in that department :-D

1 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

OpenID Jaspenelle said...

I have noticed that dairy-is-bad thing about CafeMom too.

I am lactose intolerant though so I just wanted to say, I am generally fine with cheese (it has much less lactose in it then milk) and usually yogurt, but milk can sometimes upset me (especially when it is non-organic for some reason, maybe a hormone issue?)

But if she continues to have a problem, might I sugguest trying raw milk? it has lactase in it which helps digest the lactose - something like that. It causes no intolerance in me at all. Also taking a probiotic in the morning before any dairy works too.

Hope you figure it out! (I am going to have the remember that beeswax thing with my son! lol I would freak out!)

August 31, 2008 5:21 PM
Delete
Blogger Steph said...

I hope that the milk thing turns out to be nothing! But like the above comment pointed out, if it's a lactose thing then the cheese and yogurt wouldn't affect her like whole milk would.

I'm jealous of the organic sale! LOL ... We really don't have any good stores close by, so I do all my shopping at the Navy's commissary. They're not as bad as other stores, but still hard to afford!

August 31, 2008 6:24 PM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

My husband, his mom & my mom are all lactose intolerant too... So I've looked that up as well. But that's in BM so we would have had a problem before.

If I'm thinking correctly it would take more than a day or two for the dairy to get out of her system - and she already has no rash & is solid again. So I'm thinking it was whatever we caught (or the teething or something) I hope so.

Until last week I cooked her food w/out milk anyway so I know I'll be fine w/ that... Our food would be harder lol, but like I said she's never reacted to me eating it (which is part of the reason why I think I'm overreacting).

August 31, 2008 10:27 PM