Pages

26 July, 2008

Worst Flight of My Life

Earlier I read a post on Multicultural Muslima about her trip to Egypt that got me to thinking. I started to share a couple stories on her comments, but realized I probably should do it here. :-j

It really wasn't my worst flight... just very very harried.

In May 2003 I was leaving for my second trip to Tanzania. I hadn't gotten to go the year before so I was really excited about it. Things had gone well leading up to that point... My family had been through it once before and I hadn't gotten nearly the grief I did the first time. Yet...

My mom and grandmother took me to the Lubbock Airport. I was meeting my friend Dustin and we were flying to Houston, get straight on another flight, and then meet up w/ the others in Amsterdam. I don't remember what time our flight was, but I got there early. At the last min they flipped on me. There was crying, begging me not to go, etc... I kept trying to tell them I needed to go in... I kept watching for Dustin, hoping he'd show up... was really starting to get nervous... and they really weren't helping lol.

So I got inside... to find out that they'd bumped our flight... so that we'd have more time in Houston. Sounds great right? Well it was for Dustin who was already there... That's right... The plane took off without me just as I finally got inside. They'd tried to hold it for me, but since I "wasn't there" they couldn't any longer...

At this point I was rushing... They changed how many carryons we could have (were trying to count my purse as one) and I had to unpack and stuff things in a different way. Mom was helping, unhappily of course. And finally... I got on the plane. Alone.

I get to Houston... an airport I didn't really care for because I got horribly lost the last time I was there. And this time... I had minutes to get across the place and on my flight... by myself. You know, it's fuzzy, probably because I was so worried I'd miss it and consentrating on getting there... but I remember someone being very nice and pointing me in the right direction. And running. I remember running.

I was the last one on the plane...


3 comments:

Christy said...

I have never flown on a plane before. Isn't that insane?

Lelo and Stitch said...

Our trip to Tanzania wasn't as eventful :-) at least not that I can remember.

Mama Kalila said...

Christy - I know a lot of people who haven't... I love it though.

Lelo - LOL... Well... actually. The trip OVER there wasn't as eventful (although Richards driving to Dallas might qualify) but while were there was, maybe even more so lol.