Pages

28 July, 2008

The McDonalds Encounter

I didn't bring it up on the other blog... but I had an interesting encounter at McDonalds on the way back this weekend. No, we weren't eating there - although tech. Kalila was lol. There's one attached to the gas station & I needed a place to sit...

Anyways, one of the workers came up to me while I was nursing her. My first thought was she was going to say something obnoxious, but pleasantly surprised... She told me that I'm lucky. We ended up talking a few minutes & I'm still mad for that poor girl...

She has a three month old that she'd planned to BF, and did for one month. But the hospital didn't let her leave w/out giving formula... (which she didn't realize would hurt her supply so didn't fight it) and she ended up drying up. She was so upset about it, and determined to continue that she went to her dr and asked if there was anything she could do.. and he lied to her and said no.

Of course as she's telling me this, she still didn't know that was bad info. When I mentioned the things she could try she had a shocked look on her face & said she wished she met me two months ago.

I've heard of stories like that before, but never from a person I'd met... is frusterating... if someone is willing to work at it & try everything they can - they should be given every opportunity to do so... but instead the exact opposite happens.

So word of advice - a) research beforehand (better safe than sorry) and b) take every thing dr's say with a grain of salt... look it up for yourself afterwards if ya have too.

Sorry, I have dr issues to begin with and this just got my goat on top of everything else.

1 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Steph said...

Wow ... It doesn't surprise me terribly, b/c I've heard of this same thing happening to a LOT of people, but it's still absolutely disgusting. Medical science may claim that breastfeeding is best and that they support it, but their actions speak WAY louder than their words. It's ridiculous. I'm glad that you were able to give her some accurate information. Hopefully next time she'll educate herself before allowing a doctor to pressure her into something she doesn't need.

July 31, 2008 12:29 PM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

I had too, but I guess because it was the first time I really met the person is why it 'surprised' me. But yeah, their actions do speak louder... and it's not just things like this either. It even goes down to little things like giving us percentages for weight and height on a baby scale based on ff babies. BF ones exist, but they don't use them! Getting off before I hit the soapbox lol

July 31, 2008 12:54 PM