Pages

30 July, 2008

I'll Take A Slice Of Baked Fork Please

As you can guess by now... the reunion was a lot of fun. And of course... I have a few stories to share.


***

I wish I could tell you all about the cafe thing Friday night, but since we were late we missed most of it. What I did see was several people w/ lei's and several going barefoot w/ overalls & pigtails. There was a lovely Roadkill Cafe sign... So despite what I said the other day about not as much redneck in the entertainment... there was some! Since I have no pics, and going off the top of my head here... please (please) correct me if I had any of that wrong (those of you who were there of course...)

***

As you can guess our contribution to the Friday night thing was supposed to be kibbe naye, hummus, olives and chips. They did get put out, but most of it got saved for the next day... I'd figured we'd end up cooking most of the kibbe anyway lol....

So Saturday I got up early to go do just that... I put that kibbe in the oven... Mind you I looked at it first... so did Leta. We both checked it a little later on, at different times I'm assuming. Well... some of the family started to notice a smell and was checking around... finally thought to check on the kibbe and found a plastic fork inside the pan. Now, someone put it in there the night before... not sure who... but I swear I didn't see it when I put it in the oven. Thankfully it didn't affect the meat... not sure how, but it didn't. And as you can imagine, I got teased about cooking a fork for, oh, the rest of the trip....

Yeah, cooking not going so well for me lately...

***

My daughter is a rabbit.

I piled her up a plate... but noticed there was a bunch of protein & no fruits or veggies... just none there she could have yet. So we looked around to see what we could do, and came up with the carrots. Raw, but we could watch her close right?

Great idea. (Thankyou TJay) She absolutely loved it.. Had like 3 or 4 that day lol. Just munched away...

And yes, I had to get a picture...


***

Someone asked me about sleep....

LOL

Well, after the drive over that I've already mentioned... We visited awhile (cafe stuff) and then headed to bed. Now, we don't have a pack and play... No portable crib... Back to cosleeping for us while there. Yeah it didn't go so well.

Kalila played, she crawled, she stood up, she hit me in the face. Jason took the other bed (way too small of beds for three people)... he could have gone to sleep. But he was nice and tried to help by joining us... yeah, it made it worse. So he went back...

Then I got the brilliant idea of - lets try reclining the stroller (it pulls back, we didn't lay it down lol) and strapping her in there... I hated the idea, but sleep deprived and slightly crazy from the drive over = trying it. She started screaming. Crying. Screaming. Crying.

I got her out. Still crying. I held her... crying. Let her crawl on the bed... still crying. Seeing a pattern here? She stood up, crawled, bent over double, turned circles.. AND WOULDN'T STOP CRYING.

At this point Jas is sitting on the bed, we're just about arguing.. (not quite but almost) I start to nurse her (as she's still crying) and finally... he lays down w/ her sandwiched pretty tightly between us and she calms down. We stayed like that until she fell asleep and then he moved. It was past 1... We woke up at 5 and couldn't go back to sleep...

Las was nice.. she let us nap the next day... I got a nice hours sleep.

Sat night... Jas was out drinking w/ the family (and from what I've heard from him and Las I'm torn on whether I'm sad or glad I missed it) and Kalila & I went to bed early(ish... not really early, past her bedtime.. but still - early for me lol). She nursed awhile... went straight to sleep. Saturday night was wonderful. We even slept in (oops).

Honestly, I'm thinking it was the pool that helped.. we got in for a bit that night and then I gave her a bath afterwards of course.. I think the water calmed her down quite a bit.

***

Hmmm... What else was there? I can't really think of any other stories I won't get in trouble for sharing lol (although I know Jas wants me to share one of em). If anyone can think of anything I missed - please feel free to leave it in the comments section here!

***

I just remembered!!! How could I forget the cutest think Kalila has done yet....

Sunday morning... Kalila woke up, ate a bit, started crawling around playing as usual... and crawled up to my face... put a hand on each cheek... leaned in close and said (rather loudly) - EY OH (ey like hey) and then leaned down & kissed me. So cute...

7 comments:

Steph said...

I just finished reading your family reunion stories .... sounds like you had a great time! Kalila is sooo cute! Alex gnaws on carrots, but hasn't actually gotten any. If anything, I think he likes the taste and it makes his gums feel better. :)

I'm glad that the sleeping arrangements finally worked out! Sometimes I think that it just takes a night of adjustment to a new situation and then they're good to go.

Christy said...

The first night of sleep sounded awful! Your poor woman.

And the fork story was pretty funny. That sound like something I would do.

Mama Kalila said...

Steph - Thanks. We did... I think that's part of why she liked em too. Had to feel good on those gums. Plus yummy lol.

You may be right on the sleeping thing. I think that added to the stress levels of the trip doomed us that first night.

Christy - Yeah, was bad... but we survived... I'm not looking forward to any repeats anytime soon though lol.

I still can't believe all the cooking incidents here lately. All funny... but as much as I like to cook, slightly embarrassing too.

Andrea's Sweet Life said...

My kids always have the toughest time adjusting their sleep when we travel. But we can't just stay home forever, can we??

Glad you had a good time.

followthatdog said...

We have a phot of my son at whole foods gnawing happily away on a carrot while we shopped. Your photo reminded me of that little moment.

Thanks for dropping by earlier! I like your blog, I'll be checking back here too.

madamspud169 said...

When my son got his first few teeth he loved carrot sticks and red / green sweet peppers cut into sticks. He even loved snacking on dried banana slices & dried melon. Watermelon was popular but very messy & is great for kids when its hot as it's mainly water.
Really cold watermelon is great for kids to gnaw on as it soothes the gums & tastes a lot better than an icy bit of plastic.

Robin said...

Travel always screwed up my kids' sleeping too (then of course we'd really do them in with major jetlag, that always helps). Thankfully it does get smoother as they get older.