Pages

20 June, 2008

What A Mom Won't Do...

Once again I waited too long to post this lol. Have several things to mention...

We thought we lost Iggy the other day. Backing up a little lol, I saw Kimosimi staring at our calendar earlier that day.. I looked up and saw this...


If you look very closely you'll see a little lizard head poking out of the side!

So later Jas came home and asked where he was... I told him and he went to look, and accidently knocked him on the floor! Two kitties tried to attack. We tried to get him to safety but he disappeared before we could. We were convinced that he didn't make it... Poor Iggy...

But the next day we found him in the bathroom! We had to get more pictures because the cats were in the tub staring at him...


Now I'm going to completely (but not so randomly) change subjects now that you've seen that pic.. and apologize for the mess in it. I have been trying to clean that freaking tub for over a week I believe. Almost every day I spray it down w/ cleaner, close up the room to let it sit and get distracted by everything else I have to do! Then of course one of us goes to take a shower and nearly kills ourselves because it's so slippery from the spray lol. It's awful... I'm going to get to it today... Really... I hope... The washer's empty at the moment, so maybe if I throw the curtain in first will help me get the rest done lol (washer is almost never empty so I've been trying to do it the other order).

What else was there... OH Wednesday!

Jas was off on Wednesday... So we started off running errands. In the middle of them we got hungry and were trying to figure out where to go for lunch. Well, we missed Folklife this year and were pretty upset about that (not just missing the food.. .but that was in there too lol)... and then Jas brought up the Hey There Khalila song.. If you heard it think back to the kabob references in it lol. So it started going through my head and I told Jas I'm hungry for kabobs. Was trying to get him to make some soon... But he brought up trying this Lebanese restraunt we'd seen in passing. It was so good! We had fried kibbe, tabouli (sp? I can't spell in English let alone Arabic lol), and of course kabobs. Yes we were both very very happy...

We finished off our errands and then sent Kalila off to spend time w/ her Gido so we could go out on a date. We went out to Samerai's for dinner (was so good.. had the Texas roll and the Lemon roll.. plus our usual Unagi and Spicy Tuna stuffed Mushrooms) and then went out to see the new Adam Sandler movie (the don't mess w/ the zohan one). I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not... but it was really funny and had a good message at the end too. Of course now I'm gonna start laughing every time I see fattoush or hummus.

Since then... I've been trying to get things clean... We got the storage closet cleaned the other day, but it's caused a mess in our living room... it never ends!

I'm also still dealing w/ sleeping issues here. Most of you know I really don't like CIO. The whole idea just bothers me... but I got to the point that we were using it because nothing else was working. But that's not working either! Over half the time she keeps going for ten minutes... so I have to go get her (gets dangerous after 15... not chancing it here so set our limit at 10) calm her down, and start again... Sometimes I get lucky and she falls asleep in a few minutes. But... all the CIO people say that they do it a few times and then no crying... NO - every night... every nap... ??? Nope, I'm going back to trying other things.

So last night after I got her changed, read to, prayers, all our normal routine things... I sat down and nursed her in her room for awhile. Back before we moved her I could lean over her crib and nurse her in there, so I thought I'd try that after awhile... but I forgot that we moved the mattress down (good thing since she's standing now lol) when we moved her stuff. Yeah I can't reach anymore. As soon as she hit the mattress she started crying... So I climbed in. Yes I got in the crib... Laid down and tried to nurse her in there... Didn't really work because she got so excited to have me in there that she started playing and was fighting to stay awake. But I think I'm going to try it again tonight because even though she wasn't asleep when I got out (and did cry) - the crying lasted less than a minute and then she was completely out and slept through the night.

Jas told me I'm weird when I told him lol... That's fine though... She needs sleep. If it works I'll go w/ it. And if not... I guess I'll figure something out won't I lol? I wish we could still co-sleep (so does Jas oddly enough) but she wakes up and crawls off the bed... or climbs on top of me and starts hitting me in the face... or gives me kisses (I don't mind that one lol). We've talked about getting a bedrail, but I don't know... Hopefully we'll get her situated.

And I think that's about it... For now anyway lol.


5 comments:

Christy said...

We used to co-sleep with Porgie, and we had a bedrail. I still didn't feel safe, because she would try to pull herself up on the bedrail. I was always afraid that she would tumble over the side.

Anyways, sleep issues are hard. We struggle with sleep EVERY DAY.

Steph said...

I've struggled with sleep issues too. Actually, that's why I'm awake right now. I had him finally trained, when he got sick and started expecting to be held all night long. Now that he's well, I have to rest, and so does he.

Anyway, I know that you don't like cio, and that's fine. I can't stand what most people consider cio b/c I don't agree with it. BUT I do really really really recommend reading Dr. Ferber's sleep solutions book. If nothing else, I think that it really helps to understand sleep cycles and how they work. And it can usually help to avoid unnecessary crying. If you promise to return it, I can lend you mine as I just finished reading it and can just copy the pages I want to have for reference.

I totally relate on the issues, though. They're hard and frustrating for both mommy and baby. In our house I don't include daddy, though, b/c I think Alex could be screaming right next to his ear and he wouldn't hear at night.

Mama Kalila said...

Christy - I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point! It's really just the end of the bed I'm worried about (Jas and I block the one side, and the other has the wall lol) but still... She could do that.

They are hard... I think one thing is working and then have to start all over again.. grr.

Steph - Uggh, I'm sorry! I wouldn't say we had Kalila trained, but she was doing well for awhile too (sleeping all night and everything) but once teething hit everything turned upside down.

Jas is only here one bedtime a week so no help from him either. Sometimes if she wakes up at night he'll get her & bring her to me... but that's the extent of it lol. I don't think he gets how hard it really is sometimes.

I may take you up on borrowing the book, but I'm going down to half priced in a min to look for No Cry Sleep Solutions first... I'm sure by you're comment (on what most people consider cio) that the book you have is probably Ferbers later work when he toned his teachings down, but I'd still like to avoid him if possible lol. I have heard good things about his explanations on sleep cycles though. If I find his book there I may look at it too and see what I think (might as in will lol). We'll see...

Random question all around.. What time do yall put your little ones to bed and wake up? (on a good day anyway)

Steph said...

Kairi goes to bed b/w 6 and 7 every night unless we're up late because of church and she gets up b/w 6:30 and 7:30 every morning. Earlier if she hears us up. I'm wondering how that'll work when we move her out of the PNP/crib in a few weeks though....

I try to put Alex down for bed b/w 7 and 8. I just wait until I know for certain that he's good and sleepy. He gets up around 6am, MAYBE sleeping until 6:30.



I also want to add that with Kairi I was very anti-cio at first. I would have done anything to avoid it. But it got to the point where she screamed no matter what. In my arms. In Daddy's arms. In the swing. In the bed. Didn't matter if we were nursing, walking, rocking (actually, this made it worse), in the car, etc. She screamed from the moment she realized she was sleepy until she passed out. I finally had to start just letting her lay in her bed during it for short bursts b/c I would end up crying with her. Once I started doing that, she made a miraculous transformation. Suddenly, I could just lay her down and she'd roll over and go back to sleep. She still woke up a few times a night, but that was better than the constant screaming. Alex isn't like that at all, which makes sleep training much harder for me, but different kid, different situation.

Mama Kalila said...

Thanks. I did this thing (questionaire type) online and it said I was putting Kalila to bed too late... (I moved it up to 9 recently) but we get up later than yall (which is the same as it was saying). Part of Jas working late...

Personally that's not what I think of as cio... Kalila on the other hand was... She doesn't start crying until I lay her down (rubs her eyes and gets cranky but doesn't start the crying until then) and then all **** breaks loose. She screams,cries, throws a fit (even kicks her feet sometimes). Sometimes if I'm lucky she conks out in minutes, but lately that's happening less and less. So on top of me feeling horrid about using the method (and a tad hypocritical -sp?- too lol) - it doesn't work for her lol.

As for Alex that doesn't surprise me.. Everyone I know w/ more than one kid says the others are completely different. I'm sure even if we six like we hope they'll all be completely different lol.

I did look at the Ferber book btw... didn't get it, but see what you meant about the sleep cycles. Found the one I wanted for a good price though so happy about that. Crossing fingers here, hope it helps lol.