Pages

21 April, 2008

6 Months of Advice

While I was pg I got lots of advice... I can't say that I followed all of it lol, but still was nice. Now, I'm sure my thoughts will change as our daughter gets older... and as we have more children lol... but here's some, both given to me & things I've learned myself, that I'd like to pass on now.

1) Take help when it's offered...

2) You're the parent, you have final say

3) Research can be your friend

4) If you go w/ disposables have a stockpile of different brands to try (helps you figure out what works best for you & your baby).

5) For disposables as well, don't get many newborn sized... you'll be out of them in no time! (unless you have a premie or very small baby that is)

6) Cloth diapers are much much cheaper in the long run.

7) Cloth diapers are also not as gross as they sound lol... They even have fancy ones that you put on just like a disposable (nothing to fold or pin).

8) Try & have an assortment of sizes in baby clothes ready... they grow fast!

9) Co-sleeping is a wonderful thing... esp if you're breastfeeding. If you're not comfortable w/ it though, they make sleepers that lie on the bed or attach to the side... and bassinets next to the bed work too.

10) A lot of the items on the must have registry lists will either go unused or hardly used.

11) Keep up with the recall lists, stuff is added every day!

12) Making baby food is another way to save some money, and not that much work either.

13) Mylicon. That's all I need to say... No really, keep some in your med cabinet.

14) Hyland's or Humphrey's 3 - the Humphreys 3 works best for us, but I've heard it depends baby to baby... is great for teething though.

15) You don't have to agree (or act on) every piece of advice you hear... no matter who it's from (goes along w/ the one towards the top.. you're the parent) - do what you think is best.

16) While trying different brands/kinds/etc is great... NEVER EVER use dollar general baby wipes... (horror story for a different day)

17) Get some rest when you can, sleep while baby's asleep (as I am ignoring this one lol)

18) Trust your instincts (esp if you think baby needs to go in to dr)

19) Breastfeeding is not always easy... but it's worth it, for multiple reasons. If you have trouble there are LC's & resources available...

20) If you do use formula... research what kind you use... some have way too much sugar, some have neurotoxins (I actually looked on the sample the hospital gave me & it's true), and the premixed ones have bpa exposures. I've heard there are organic ones that don't, but haven't looked for them. Anyways, if you research you'll have peace of mind w/ your decision...

21) You can still have your pets, babies love them! Just make sure food & water is out of reach (we have a baby gate up) and those crib tents work wonderfully to keep pets out of the crib too lol.

22) Enjoy those babies! They only stay little so long...

I'm sure I could go on a few more, but I have a few things I need to finish w/ the little one asleep... wait... nope... she's crying, I'm off for mommy duty!

Oops - almost forgot. If anyone has anything (advice or whatever) they'd like to add feel free to leave it on the comment section. Is always nice to hear more.

1 comments:

Mama Kalila said...

Blogger Christy said...

You have learned a lot of stuff in a short period of time! As your baby girl gets bigger, your list will continue to grow.

April 21, 2008 7:05 PM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

Partly liking to read & part stuff I was told lol. I left out the ones I really dont care for like not to hold her & to make her cry to build up lungs (so not right) lol, but thought I'd share some of the good ones. & I know the list will grow... and possibly change lol. Things I thought were good a few months ago...I'm shaking my head over now lol. I meant to put this on there (and will fix it in a min) but was gonna say others are free to add stuff they learned heard here in the comment section..Is always nice to hear input from other mommies.

April 21, 2008 8:23 PM
Delete
Blogger Steph said...

I loved most of yours! Although, I need to send you some stuff on the Hyland's Teething Tablets. I used them until a baby got hurt by one that had too much of the main ingredient in it. Instead, I used a teething liquid that had camilla in it, and that helped tremendously. My mil got it at a natural foods store.


Here's mine:

You know your baby better than your doctor. If you believe that something is truly wrong and don't feel like your doctor is addressing your concerns, keep searching for answers and consult another doctor.

Your pediatrician is a good source of information, but not the be-all end-all of baby knowledge.

Make your baby play on the floor from day one -- makes life much easier later on!

And this one isn't necessarily about your babies, but something I learned after having Kairi. After you have your baby, if something feels off, you don't feel like yourself, you don't feel normal, you don't know who you are, or you seem to be fighting w/ your significant other more than normal, don't just blow it off as you trying to adjust to having a new baby. Talk to a professional about it. It may be nothing, but it could be serious and if it is serious, the sooner you get treatment the better your family will be. PPD really does hurt the whole family, not just you.


I'm sure I have others, but those are definitely important ones to me!

April 22, 2008 9:11 AM
Delete
Blogger Mama Kalila said...

I would appreciate that.. We stopped using them because they don't work on Kalila, we've been using Humphrey's 3... but it's made of the same thing.

Those are some good ones. I can't believe I didn't think of some of them lol. Is why I wanted others to post though... Thanks for sharing!

April 22, 2008 10:38 PM
Delete
Blogger Steph said...

I can't seem to find the article I was thinking of ... still looking, but I'll link the personal account of a girl's experience w/ Hylands that made me throw my bottle away for good at the bottom of my most recent blog.

April 30, 2008 12:36 AM