Pages

18 February, 2008

Sweet Peas first Peas....

I can't believe it's already time for Kalila to be eating solids... but as I've already mentioned... it is. For the past couple weeks she been eating cereal & loving it. Today though... it was time for her first veggie.

As some of you know, we decided that I'm going to make our own baby food. It's easy, it's healthy & yes... it's cheaper. I promise I'm not going to do this every time I make said baby food.. but since this was the first time I had to document it!

We decided to go with peas first. Bought them fresh... you can do them from frozen too, but I didn't want too lol. They're pretty easy to cook... just steam them. & the smell... They smelled so good cooking!

I had to take this shot lol.. I've never steamed anything before, and the green colour the water underneath turned hit me as funny! You can see the peas in the other pan too.
Next they went in the baby food processor. You can use any kind for it.. and there's also food mills too... but this is the one we got at a baby shower. You can add some of the water from the peas to thin it, but I went the other route & used bm (you can use formula too)...

Kalila's still pretty little so I wanted to make sure it was fine enough, so I strained it through a colander too. When she gets a little older I'll leave this step out! I probably should have used a bigger bowl though... something to keep in mind for next time.


In the middle of all this cooking we were trying to get her to take a nap. It didn't work. Jason tried to keep her calm, but he had to leave for work before I finished, only by a few minutes though. So he put her in the bouncer & she hung out with me while I finished up. She kept fussing, but gave a big grin when she saw the camera aimed at her!


Since I was cooking today I put a bit in her bowl first off, but the rest got sectioned off in an ice cube try. They make trays specifically for it, that have just the right sized sections for portioning... but we haven't been able to get one yet. The stores here were all out. I ended up having to order it online, but this will work for now. It went in the freezer so I don't have to worry about making any more peas for awhile. For the next few weeks/months I'll be doing it once a week since she's getting one new a week. But each "cooking session" will last much longer than that.


So then it was time to eat! It was so cute... she grabbed the spoon (if I didn't have a good grip on it she prob would have yanked it away from me) and thrust it in her mouth! Then she got this very confused look on her face like "what the ...." I had to get pics. I'm not sure what she thought of it honestly. She made all kinds of interesting faces while eating. Finally she decided she had enough & started screaming at me.
What is this stuff?
I'm not sure if I like it...
I think my thumb tastes better... You put it in my mouth again!
That's not so bad...
I think I'll just play with it.Yummy!
Enough! Get it out!!!

3 comments:

Christy said...

I could never get Porgie to eat peas. Her favorites were carrots and sweet potatoes.

Mama Kalila said...

She did a little better with it today... The new one next week will be green beans & then banana's the week after. Haven't decided past that other than that's when we're gonna start alternating between fruits & veggies. I can't wait to see which she ends up preferring. :-D

UmmAbdur-Rahmaan said...

I made my own baby food with apples...I steamed them and made some rice I then put them into a blender and made it mush....the baby seems to like it.....I also did the same with bananas and rice. Yummy...I will go with vegetables(peas) next week....